Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tulip Time

My computer is cooperating so far tonight. I say this with trepidation as it may quack at me and quit at any time. I wish you could hear the noise it makes. If it wasn't so distressing it would be really funny. Imagine the frustration of being right at the end of writing quite a long email and quack....you're done....and the email is lost! Ack!
We're thinking that we'll probably have to go computer shopping very soon. I have to say this has been a good machine for quite a few years, so I really can't complain.

Here are a few photos I've taken recently of the gardens. The tulips are blooming beautifully, along with some still-blooming daffodils, hyacinths and grape hyacinths.
What a joy to see the vibrant colors of the flowers and fields. The trees are leafing out and the birds are coming in droves.

Yesterday I had a lovely surprise.....a hummingbird zoomed up to the front porch where the feeder hangs in summer, darted back and forth looking for it, and then zipped off to look for the back porch feeder. Neither of them were out yet....but they are now! I quickly mixed some sugar water and hung both feeders.
When we arrived home from church today there was a male ruby-throated hummer hovering at the back feeder. While I was refilling the seed feeders on the front porch a little male came to feed and hovered a few seconds as if to say hello. I wish I'd had my camera handy. I'll have to be ready next time.
I meant to put all these photos in one post but Hello didn't let me...it messed up twice. These programs sometimes seem to have a mind of their own!
We had a beautiful sunny Sunday and managed to plant some shrubs and vegetables. We have lettuce and a few other things up! It's so good to see veges growing again. Homegrown salads soon!
Hope you had a lovely day too!

Red Emporer tulips. If you enlarge the picture you can see that the farmer over the river is doing some field work. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...[Reply]

Beautiful tulips. Mine also in bloom but they're bright yellow. Stop by my blogg sometime.

roybe said...[Reply]

These tulips are a lovely vivid red

Susie said...[Reply]

Pretty as a postcard Kerri! I'm giggling at your computer that sounds like a duck! At least it gives you some warning before it gives up! I know how frustrating that is to write a nice newsy email and then have it just disappear! I'm glad you were able to get out in the sunshine and putter.
Talk to you soon,
:-) Susie

Val said...[Reply]

Dont the trees look lovely when that fresh green haze appears? I am finding this spring is so exciting, sharing it with others - sorry those of you in Oz! But I guess the Antipodean Autumn is welcomed too.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

It's hard to pick which flowers I like best, because they are ALL so beautiful...I just love spring flowers and I wish they would last longer too.
I have never seen a fringed tulip before...it is very pretty.
I love the way you plant in clumps...I think they are much prettier planted that way and I would guess that they are much easier to take care of...as far as weeding goes.

I hope your computer doesn't quit before you get a new one.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri...
Lovely pictures of your spring flowers, the hyacinths in particular. I love them! Sorry to hear that you’ve been having problems with your computer, they are terrific when they work properly, but they confuse & frustrate me when they are not.

Every time I see your pictures, I’m so envious of all that open space you have. Do you grow vegetables I wonder? My friend Vanessa and I have a little veggie plot that we garden together, but more of that later.
Have a good weekend my friend. Love - Marion

Val said...[Reply]

You've inspired me to post about my tulips too, I will link to this post - thanks Kerri.