Friday, May 19, 2006

They're Not Redbuds!


Well, we now know for sure what these two trees are, thanks to Annie in Austin (Texas), who very kindly let us know in a comment on this blog yesterday.
Hubby and I were just making our best guess after trying to find some good pictures and information that might help us remember what we planted way back then. We found written information in a file that named 2 redbuds, among other trees, that we had planted approximately 16 years ago, so we just assumed that's what these were. The order listed ten flowering trees from the Arbor Day Foundation. I’m noticing now that 2 flowering crab trees (Malus sargentii) are also included in the list. Hmmm. We didn’t realize that crabapples could have red flowers. We were thinking, since the flowers are red, they must be redbuds. Spring being a very busy time, our research wasn’t very extensive. Next time I’ll be more thorough.
I‘m learning a lot this spring! In previous years I haven’t really taken the time to notice the trees so much. I’m rather clueless as far as knowing their names. Blogging has made me notice so much more this spring and my plant encyclopedia has had lots of use! I will do better with my research in future!
Over the years the rest of the trees we planted back then have succumbed to various fates, including the lawn mower, driven by a teenage son!
So these are RED FLOWERING CRABAPPLES! Sorry about the mistake everyone. Thanks so much Annie for correcting my mistake!! And thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting. I'm always so pleased to have you stop by.

9 comments:

Tanya said...[Reply]

I'm loving your pictures. The first one in your last post is beautiful. And I am a sucker for tulips... :)

Diane Viere said...[Reply]

What EVER they are called...they are beautiful! You should re-name your blog--SPACE to BREATHE! I always leave feeling so refreshed!

Diane

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Kerri, you are the best kind of gardener - making a a beautiful space in the world, sharing it with all of us, and possessing that inquisitive quality that keeps us willing to learn as long as we live. It's a good quality for us as grandmothers, too, isn't it!

Although I'm not a blogger, I'm in a group of Austin women who garden together. If you are interested, we have a website, where we use first names that are sort of jokes. As the one who came to Texas from IL, my name is Glinda, the witch from the North.

Texas is one place to come if you miss that Australia heat. It's already in the mid-nineties every day. We're right in the middle of the state, so no ocean beaches for you here, but there are some nice lakes formed by dams on the river.

Annie

Susie said...[Reply]

I certainly didn't know that they were crabapple trees either! You had me totally convinced they were Redbuds!
I was just recently reading someone's blog (can't think who right now) who had a crabapple tree right outside their door. Just remembered! It was Kim! Here's the link to her crabapple woes http://hiraeth.blogspot.com/2006/05/our-crabapple-tree.html
Yours sound like they are a ways from the house!
This must be the time of year for them though!
((hugs))
Susie

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

Have you gone into Julies tree growers diary? I have her listed on my "links"
list..she seems to know much about trees.I love this sharing of info as we
get into blogging!

Sigruns German Garden said...[Reply]

Very interesting and nice photos, Kerri.

Sigrun

Carole Burant said...[Reply]

Two doors down from us they had a crabapple tree and when it was in full bloom it was breathtaking...then new people moved in and they cut it down!! I was devastated, even though it wasn't in my yard lol There's one street I sometimes drive on to get to a friend's place that is lined with crabapple trees (one in almost every front yard) and when they're in bloom it's quite a sight to see!! I'll drive up and down the street just to admire it all:-) Continue posting your beautiful pictures, love looking at them all!!

sonia a. mascaro said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, thank you so much for your nice words about Flora. I am very close to her and really she is a great companion to me.

Have a happy Sunday!

Val said...[Reply]

I have just this minute returned from an all day visit to Royal Horticultural Society's gardens at Wisley and saw a six foot cercis canadensis tree for sale. I hadnt got £50 to spare and we were on a coach trip so no room! But it was totally gorgeous!