Friday, May 12, 2006

Gardening In Comfort.....

I've had a chance these past several weeks to try out the 'garden hopper' that my hubby gave me at Christmas time, and I promised to let you know how I liked it.

I can honestly say I love it! At first I was skeptical as to how comfortable it would be. Sitting and bending over to work wouldn’t seem to be a comfortable position, but surprisingly it is! The little hopper moves effortlessly on its wheels, so I’m able to nudge it along as I work at the edge of a garden. That’s what I’ve been doing lately….edging the gardens. It’s a tedious job, but I haven’t actually minded it now that I have the garden hopper to ‘help’.


I keep my camera, wrapped in a small towel, in the tool compartment under the seat….so it’s always handy!
The cats seem to think the hopper is their very own ‘new toy’, and they gave me ample opportunity to catch them in some good poses when I first began using it. These photos of them enjoying some games in it were taken in early April. They keep me smiling :)


The hopper doesn’t work for everything. When there are weeds to pull in the middle of a garden bed I have to get off and go in after them! If you had some space in between plants then it could possibly work, but my gardens are full of perennials and there’s very little space. My next job is to thin some out. Finding friends who are willing to take some off my hands is quite easy, I’m pleased to say. I hate to throw plants away! There’ll be room for a few new ones then.


So I would highly recommend the hopper for giving you another position to garden in. Not having to get up and down off your knees constantly is certainly a plus, and it’s nice to have a lap for a kitty to climb into for the occasional cuddle :) Once in a while I take a break and just sit and contemplate my surroundings, while soaking up the sunshine!


We bought it at Amazon.com for only $18.00. It even had free shipping if you spent over $25, so you don’t have to invest a lot of money to buy this neat little thing. I’m not sure what it would cost in other countries, or if it’s even available, but you could check. Maybe the overseas postage from Amazon would be prohibitive. Anyway, I’ve found it to be a good little addition to my garden tools, and if anyone else tries one I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


These photos were taken a month ago when the daffodils had just begun to bloom.



Bending over to dig out weeds, etc. while sitting on the hopper is really quite comfortable!



Toby thought this was a cozy place to curl up.



Zoey liked climbing in and out.



Zoey and Pete think it's a great place to play hide and seek.



Pete decides this will be his spot but Zoey thinks she should have a turn. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

You really got some cute cat pictures. I was wondering about the garden hopper and if you could actually be seated and work from it confortably...like the advertisements said. Well, I guess you have answered my questions about its worth.

I really would like to have one...I take a kitchen foot stool out, but the 4 legs bury themselves in the soil and I have to pull it out each time I get up...And then clean the mud off of it when I'm finished, before I can take it back indoors.
The thick wheels on the garden hopper keep it from sinking into the dirt...and you can just scoot right along.

Thanks Kerri, I may now seriously consider it...and I love compartments to keep things handy within reach.

Val said...[Reply]

Kerri, the photos of the cats in your garden hopper are so-o-o-o cute! That sure looks like a convenient gadget to have, and I can't believe how cheap it is. If I can't find one in Australia I might look around for one when I'm in the States in October.

Sigruns German Garden said...[Reply]

Funny! I need such an car for my garden!
And the cat - cute!

Sigrun

WendyAs said...[Reply]

I wonder if they would ship to Tasmania for free. I doubt it. I could use a hopper.

Val said...[Reply]

An old library school friend (who is without a garden right now) is visiting this weekend, so I am off to have fund tidying up those odd corners of the garden I would usually neglect. The hopper looks excellent, and the cats are amazing!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...[Reply]

Maybe the other thought the other one could give a push.

Susie said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
You look so happy in your garden on the hopper (but I suspect you'd be happy there no matter what!)
Love your kitties too! How thoughtful you are to give them a new play structure :-)
Step 2 is the brand of many children's outdoor toys that we have had here for the grandkids. They last and last!
Glad you're computer is not being difficult so that you can post!
Thanks for your lovely comments on my post...
((hugs))
Susie

Pam in Tucson said...[Reply]

Thanks for visiting my blog, allowing me to discover yours, which was promptly added to my bloglines subscription list. The garden hopper looks like a real boon, not just for you but for your delightful cats, too. Enjoy!

clairesgarden said...[Reply]

oh I love the cats having fun in their new garden toy, how kind of you to get it for them, ha!

Duncan said...[Reply]

It looks to me as if you have discovered the art of graceful gardening Kerri. Thanks for all your recent comments, I've enjoyed seeing the colours of your garden, it's a credit to you.

Diane Viere said...[Reply]

The Garden Hopper is worth having just for the cats.....darling!

Your photos are beautiful...they make me miss the hobby farm we just sold three years back--as we were down sizing (not in space...but WORK!) With the older kids graduating from high school...the workload on this HOBBY farm fell on too few shoulders!

You must love where you live! Take more photos--please!

Diane

Philosophical Karen said...[Reply]

What a cool tool! (And a great cat toy, too.)

Reflection Through The Seasons said...[Reply]

Love to see your little hopper in action Kerri, I see the cats have taken to it also. Does it make your back ache after a while I wonder?
Your garden is looking very colourful right now. Spring! I love it. Love Marion.

Judypatooote said...[Reply]

Those are some of the cutest pictures I've seen in a while...

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Hi Mummy!
Your photos of you and dad and the farm (especially the one of Grady) made me miss home. I'll come visit soon if you'll give me a ride on your new toy.
Take that awful photo of Kylie and I down immediately! Shame on you.
xoxo
Kath