Saturday, January 14, 2006

Winter Is White Again

Yesterday I did something remarkable for January in our neck of the woods...I went out and worked in the garden! I cut back plants that I hadn't managed to get to in November when my activities were curtailed by the dreaded pinched nerve. The temperatures were heading towards 60F and the sun shone magnificently. It was glorious. Ah, to breathe the fresh air and just to be out of the house and moving....lovely!
The birds have been enjoying the gloriosa daisy, echinacea and other seeds, so I wasn't too upset about leaving the stalks poking up through the snow...it added a bit of winter interest to the yard. But I needed a job to do outside and that was a good one.
There was green grass to be seen and it was nice to be able to walk in the driveway without skating, as we've been doing a lot lately with all the ice. Getting up to the barn to feed the cats can be quite treacherous.
Today it's all white again. We had rain this morning and then the snow started falling this afternoon. A frosty wind was really whistling through the trees.
I'm looking forward to visiting all the other blogs I've discovered lately, especially the Aussie ones, since I'm a transplanted Aussie. It makes me nostalgic reading about the hot summer temps, the beautiful beaches (I used to live at the beach) and all those places I've been to but haven't seen for quite a while.
Our winters are much too long here in the northeast.....but on the plus side, it does give us a chance to get some things done inside, like spending a little time on the computer or reading a good book or two.
I've seen lots of clever crafts on some of the blogs and have been inspired by the photos and writing. It provides a nice distraction when the weather outside makes one want to stay in where it's cozy and warm.
Until next time....keep writing!

6 comments:

Alice said...[Reply]

Kerri - welcome to Blogland. I hope you will have hours (and it will be hours!) of fun. Looking forward to reading lots about your life in Upstate NY.

Stuart said...[Reply]

Kerri - I have absolutely no concept of what it would be like to garden in an area where it snows for a quarter of the year. However, I'm sure you do it and do it well. Congrats on your new blog, can't wait to hear more from you.

kylieps said...[Reply]

Yay for Mummy!
I'm so impressed that you've got this up and running. I can't wait to read your thoughts- EVERY DAY!! Now we can pressure each other to post- thank god for the 21st century where we have more ways than ever to drive each other nuts :-)
I really am looking forward to it though. You're such a clver mummy.
Love,
Number one daughter

Val said...[Reply]

Kerri,
welcome to the blogosphere, and hope you enjoy the sense of community you can get, even with people on the other side of the world.

Kali said...[Reply]

Followed you over from Alice's, and just wanted to stop by and say g'day and welcome to the blogging world. I thought it was cold moving to Hobart from Darwin...but maybe not quite as cold as Upstate NY.

OldRoses said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri! I took the scenic route to your blog from my computer here in NJ to Alice's blog in Australia to you in upstate NY! Where are you in upstate? I'm originally from the Albany area. I don't miss those winters but the summers here in NJ are way too hot and humid for me. I do love the long growing season though. And . . .welcome to the blogosphere.