Thursday, November 13, 2008

Early Snowstorm

About two and a half weeks ago, on October 28th, Old Man Winter gave us a sneak peek at what's to come in the months ahead (thank you very much Sir, but I would've preferred to just wait).


We had been enjoying cool, misty mornings....






watching the sun rise to dispel the fog...... Posted by Picasa


and shed golden light over the fields, and through the remaining autumn leaves still clinging to a few trees.....



when the surly gentleman decided to pay us an unwelcome visit.

Cold rain soon turned to snow.....


and our warm colors were diluted to faded, washed out shades.



But two days later the sun returned, brightening the colors once again.
Although those glorious orange leaves were mostly gone from the little maple.....


on the larger tree the leaves were spared. Posted by Picasa


We ended up with about 4 inches of snow in our area, but friends in Pennsylvania had a foot, with one broken tree and several broken branches.

As I mentioned in the previous post, we were without power for 30 hours and spent a chilly night without heat. Our phone service was limited to local, and the internet was out as well. We felt cut off from the world for a while!


The garden was looking rather pretty......

....covered with snow. Posted by Picasa


And that pure blue sky certainly brightened our spirits.




The maple is beautiful with the barn as a background....


...or facing west toward the river.

Looking through it to the cornfield.... Posted by Picasa


....or casting its morning shadow across the lawn.



I like to see the red barn surrounded by snowy white.



And the trusty outdoor furnace surrounded by those wonderful stacks of wood - the promise of warmth on those cold winter days and nights!

There are the pumpkins again, wearing their snowy caps!

And here's the spirea bush wearing glorious fall colors. Posted by Picasa

I guess I should thank Old Man Winter for the beauty of the snow, but I do hope he stays away for a while longer and lets us savour a few more weeks of gentle weather before he blasts us again.

Nancy Bond over at Soliloquy is hosting a 'Garden Bloggers' First Snowfall' project. You might want to pop over to see who else has had a visit from OMW.

23 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
I enjoyed looking at your photos, but had to pull my sweater around me when I got to the snow ones! Then, I read you were without power that long, and I pulled a blanket up over my shoulders! Brr!

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

Those first photos make me think that the summer clouds are just lieing in the fields having a rest before they move on to let Ole Man Winter have his way. Beautiful first snow for your Kerri. I too like to see the red barn nestled in the snow.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

Pretty, yes. But it could have been just as pretty if it had waited until December! Odd that here in Snowville we've only seen a flake or two but I'm not complaining. I'm hoping the bad weather holds off another three weeks because I didn't get all my bulbs in and I don't think I'll be able to before that.

They are promising a very warm day today. Enjoy!

Alice said...[Reply]

Do you ever tire of the pure clean whiteness of the snow? It looks so inviting to go and play in - but maybe that's because I rarely get to see snow.

On the downside would be the knowledge that winter will arrive whether you like it or not. At least you have your trusty furnace to keep you warm.....and each other....lol.

The other spots of colour will always be the multitude of birds who find a welcome feed around your home. I'm sure they bless you, Kerri.

Jellyhead said...[Reply]

Oooh, 5th commenter only... how exciting!

Kerri those photos are all beautiful - and especially the misty ones.

I seem to remember Halloween was often the turning point for Old Man Winter to arrive (when we lived in Nth America) - guess OMW came a bit early to you this year!

Say hello to Ross and keep warm!

Tina said...[Reply]

Hey, Kerri,
Yeah, the snow stunk showing up so early. I was not a happy camper! But, it's suppose to be 60F today, get cold again and then be nice for Thanksgiving. Typical Upstate NY weather - if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes, it'll change. lol.

Roses and Lilacs said...[Reply]

I love that first photo. The wet, glossy road and the mist in the field.

I was looking at my spirea and noticing the pretty colors. I need to try to get a photo of it.

Snow flurries predicted here tonight:(

F Cameron said...[Reply]

Wow! Snow is beautiful...if it doesn't stay around too long and wear out the welcome!

My son (archaeologist) is on a project somewhere near Corning and he's mentioned snow flurries...and bears! He has to go out into the wild to survey for artifacts.

Cameron

Anonymous said...[Reply]

What beautiful photos, Kerri! I've created a link on the First Snowfall page so everyone can see your sneak peek of Winter. :)

(http://nancybond.wordpress.com/garden-bloggers-first-snowfall/)

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

Kerri: the first photo is so mystical
looking with the fog just sitting over the landscape!
SNOW!!! Thank goodness we are still enjoying warm balmy temps of 6o plus
here in my world!
All that you show today was a delight to view! It is always a joy to stop by your country garden!

Amy said...[Reply]

Hello Kerri - I always enjoy your pictures so much :) We had our third snowstorm this morning, and it was beautiful to watch. I know I won't feel quite so friendly toward the snow once Christmas is over though!

Pat said...[Reply]

Burr...still love snow.
It gives everything a pure calming feeling.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

that first image of fog rising from the ground is breathtakingly beautiful..........and i too love to see snow against the red barn :) ...we are so alike in our love for littlest of things that we may be related ;DDDD

Stay warm, Kerri......:)

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Oh my, Kerri, you had it much worse than we did! Losing your power and no heat for 30 hours? Ouch!! Nothing like that happened here, although the way the wind was blowing and the heavy wet snow was bending the branches was making us very nervous. Your photos do make it look so lovely, though! I went out the day it snowed and the next and took many photos, but the early snow and cold made me so depressed that I couldn't even post them on my website. lol! :) But at least it all melted and we've been able to enjoy some more balmy temperatures -- balmy for these parts! :)

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

I just wrote you a comment but there was a problem and it wouldn't go so am trying again.
I just want to say your pictures are wonderful even though the snow makes me shiver. It must be time to pull out the garden catalogs and plan what new flowers you want for next year's gardens. Keep warm Kerri!
God bless

em said...[Reply]

wow, that first picture is phenomenal! gorgeous! thanks for the snow pics, i hope we don't get any soon... looks like maybe this week...

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Each season has its' beauty doesn't it? The snow looks pretty but I hope we wait a bit for snow here!

Anonymous said...[Reply]

I have not nearly the amount of color as I see in your already snowed on garden! I love the fog pictures! Thank you for the BD wishes. It was a great day!

Susan Tidwell said...[Reply]

Love that first picture! The fog and pink mountains in the background, sooo nice. Stay warm!

Giddy said...[Reply]

No snow here yet. I'm just hoping we don't get another 125 inches this winter!

Judy Birmingham (Seeing Anew Blog) said...[Reply]

Mist and snow -- two of my favorite photographic subjects. I love how quiet things get when it snows. I can almost hear it in your photos.

Barbara said...[Reply]

Only now I found time to visit blogs again. And what do I see here? Snow too as we have it here! Seeing your very nice winter pictures, I am wondering whether you actually still have it.

Noella said...[Reply]

That's a lovely series of mist, then light, then heavier snow scenes.

You live in a beautiful place and capture it so well in your photos.