Sunday, November 16, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - November '08

Only a few tough survivors are blooming in our November garden. Most of the garden beds look like the little Rose/Clematis garden in the photo below....in need of much tidying up.


In the middle of this garden is a patch of Homestead Purple Verbena, still valiantly producing a few dainty blooms (Click to enlarge photos for detail). I've grown this annual in our zone 5 garden for several years, and love the way it blooms continually until the really cold weather sets in. It also self-sows, which is an added bonus in the spring. The burgundy leaved Heuchera gives a nice contrasting color.

There's Reuben, faithful furry friend, keeping me company, as usual.


Also still bravely blooming is the white Alyssum, and a little further over, not in the picture, a few clumps of purple Alyssum still look good. That 'Sweet Alice' is one tough girl! She doesn't let the cold weather get her down. :)


While I was photographing the Verbena in yesterday's morning sunshine, I was amazed to see 3 busy little bees buzzing happily between the flowers.


Reuben kept nudging me gently, but insistently, to pat him while I was trying to get a few close-ups. It's a rare occasion when I'm able to do this undisturbed by a furry friend. They need their cuddles. Right here, right now! Posted by Picasa


The front gardens are devoid of flowers, except for......


...the trusty little Johnny Jump Ups....



.....and a few clumps of Cerise Queen Yarrow - another tough plant. Have you noticed that each of these hangers on are small flowers? Posted by Picasa


Walking around to the other side of the house I found just one small pansy blooming. It was in the shade so I left it alone and took a photo of the Daisy garden instead, to show you what it looks like now. (Actually I didn't want to get down on my hands and knees in the wet grass). The Stewartstonian Azalea has beautiful fall coloring. I need to do some tidying here too.

For the past month the containers have been stored in the garage, and I've been gradually emptying them. As you can see, quite a few plants are still blooming in spite of the low light.....which is truly amazing to me. The plant above is a light purple Osteospermum (African or Cape Daisy) Posted by Picasa


Here's another one - Nuanza Copper Purple. I love this color! In the background is Biden.


Here's a closer shot of the Biden, which bloomed non-stop all summer. Also in this container, which has been one of my favorite combinations, is Alternanthera, a lovely, burgundy filler....


...and Nemesia, Rasberry Sachet, another plant I love dearly.

Just look at the afternoon sun shining through those deep red leaves! I've been potting up cuttings of some of these plants. I'll let you know if they're successful. Posted by Picasa


Here's a lovely Calibrachoa (Million Bells), still looking pretty.
I'm having a very hard time pulling these containers apart while some of the plants still look so good.


Here's Calibrachoa, Colorburst Deep Blue, next to the pinkish purple one shown above.


This lovely Abutilon lived on the front porch and bloomed all summer. It's back inside now, and still blooming!

The Fuchsia, Marinka, still has a few blooms and hopefully will overwinter as well as it did last year. Posted by Picasa


The red Tuberous Begonia shows off its last couple of single flowers after producing gorgeous doubles all summer.


The Cyclamen has bloomed delightfully for most of the summer but now the leaves are beginning to yellow and the blooms are fading. I guess it needs a rest after all its hard work.


Marimba Ivy Geranium

All the geraniums (actually Pelargoniums) have been brought inside. I hope they'll overwinter successfully, as most of them did last year.


Butterfly Ivy G. Posted by Picasa


Lambada Ivy G.



Pale pink Zonal Geranium


Taj Mahal Ivy G.


This beautiful pink Ivy Geranium has no name tag, but it's been my favorite this past summer - blooming abundantly and looking lush all season. And it still looks good! Posted by Picasa

The garden may be looking drab outside, on this rainy mid-November day, but at least we'll have some blooms inside to keep us happy through the long, cold winter months ahead.

Happy Bloom Day everyone!

Please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming in other corners of the world.

27 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,

I see that you have been hunting for blooms too and you've found quite a few. Not bad for November, eh? At this time of year every flower counts.

Happy GBBD!

joco said...[Reply]

Hiya Kerri,

What a collection of pelargoniums!
Will you keep those over for next year?

All in all a surprising amount of colour, although I like the browns and beiges of you landscape best of all.

BTW, I managed to lose you comment last GBBD. I promise to be more careful if you manage to stop by this time ;-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

My goodness Kerri, there you are way up north and look at all those flowers blooming. Your list has given me ideas for the garden next year. The "little" flowers will be on my list.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

I bet that I would still have a flower or two left here if they hadn't been trampled. Today looks to be another miserable day so I'm glad you were able to enjoy some rare sunshine and warm temps. The Cerise Queen Yarrow did really well here this year and I hope it spreads like crazy.

F Cameron said...[Reply]

I am amazed at all of your blooms! I've not tried the Cerise Queen Yarrow. I love finding out about what grows in other gardens. My wish (is that envy?) list is growing! LOL

Cameron

Sunita Mohan said...[Reply]

Hey Kerri, are you sure your garden doesn't have a split personality? All those blooms look like a summer garden to me :)

Anonymous said...[Reply]

How fortunate you are to still have blooms outdoors, and many to keep you company indoors. Those hardy bees must surely appreciate your late blooms. I will have to plant alyssum next year. I haven't planted any alyssum in a while, but your plants still putting on a good display remind me of how undemanding, yet rewarding they are.

Jan said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
It is amazing to see the beautiful flowers still blooming in your garden, way up in New York! I'm in VA and haven't seen that many blooms anywhere around this area!! Jan

Amy said...[Reply]

Wow, I'm amazed that you still have so many things in bloom! I love your photos of the bee enjoying the flowers.

By the way, I've changed the name of my blog to "Blossom". When you get a chance, would be able to change your link to my blog in your sidebar?

Roses and Lilacs said...[Reply]

I have nothing left blooming.

I love the pink geranium too. Lots of cuttings for next spring;)
Marnie

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

All those geraniums will be cheery during winter, Kerri - color inside even when there's snow outside.

I like how the tough plants hunker down and dare to unfold a few flowers here and there. Now is the time when microclimates become apparent, isn't it?

Happy GBBD!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Gail said...[Reply]

Kerrie,

Late again! But the party is going strong...beautiful blooms! I love the variety of geraniums you have,,,when we were in France a few years ago...I was struck by the beautiful geraniums...stripes, different colors and even very different leaves. It is nice to see the variety and choice is finally here! It always takes a long time for trends to reach the middle of the country! Have a good week!

gail

Judy Birmingham (Seeing Anew Blog) said...[Reply]

Wow you've still got a lot of color going in that garden for November! Your camera and you take awesome shots!

Corner Gardener Sue said...[Reply]

It looks like winter is coming to my part of zone 5 before yours. You have some very lovely blooms still, and I can't pick a favorite. I love them all, and your photography is awesome! Are you willing to say what kind of camera you use? I am looking to get a different one. I tried my sister's that you have to focus yourself, and liked it, but the lens was not a zoom one. I guess you could still use a zoom with it, though.

Elzie said...[Reply]

I'm thrilled to see you have all those flowers in bloom in your garden. Here it's been freezing cold so our flowers are gone long time ago.
Hope you have a nice day.
Love Elzie

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

Quite a post for a bloom day NOvemeber! Lots blossoming still!
I have roses and African violets still braving the cold temps.

Jan said...[Reply]

Kerri,
Thanks for stopping by...again! About my butterflies: they are photos from this summer; unfortunately they are no longer flying around my garden:(
Jan

Pear tree cottage! said...[Reply]

Good morning Kerri, your hunt for flowers in your Autumn garden has found some true gems. I adore that they hang on to the very last moment winter truly arrives in your part of the world, knowing they will return next summer and spring for your delight!!

love always visiting your garden filled blog.

Lee-ann

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

your pinks, reds, and purples can drive anyone's winter blues away!!!! :)

Christy Woolum said...[Reply]

Thanks for you kind words on my blog. I have some of the same flowers you do still in bloom we but haven't had as much snow. I also have snapdragons ready to be picked tomorrow!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Wow... Kerri, that deep red foliage comes from an azalea?! I want one of those! And I love the rest of your dainty blooms, but especially the begonia. And that was a wonderful photo of it. :)

I just read your comment on Nan's GGW Roses post. Can't remember what your zone is there, but I know that the Knockout roses do well here in zone 6, and even a little further south (and west) in zone 5. So I think that you should go for it!

Barbara said...[Reply]

Oh Kerri, I had to look twice if I was right in your garden. Just jumping from the last wintery snow post to this beautiful and varied bloom garden in November. What a discrepancy! I confess, I prefer the flowers instead of snow ;-) !!!
Have a lovely and cosy weekend!
Barbara

Beth said...[Reply]

All your snow must have melted Kerri! I've never heard of the Biden before (any relation to Joe?!? Sorry!) There's nothing blooming in my corner of the world but it's nice to see you still get color in your landscape in November.

joey said...[Reply]

Most impressed with your parade of November blooms, Kerri. Homestead Purple Verbena is indeed a treasure. Our garden club plants this work horse to soften curbs in the village ... hard to yank out blooming blossoms putting gardens to bed. Happy Thanksgiving!

WiseAcre said...[Reply]

wow I'm surprised how much you still had in bloom. I have a feeling the last week or so really put a damper on the flowers.

Diana LaMarre said...[Reply]

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot of plants to care for inside this winter.

I didn't save any inside. I even tossed out my big Persian shield that I have saved for 3 years. I know I will regret that in June, but I was tired of cleaning up the mess with all the leaves dropping, etc.

I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

Susan Tidwell said...[Reply]

I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!