Saturday, May 16, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May '09

Here in upstate NY, our May garden is alive with tulips, lilacs and crabapple blooms, with a few other flowers tucked in between. Cows are grazing happily in the meadow, creating a peaceful scene.

The lawn is bright green and has been mowed twice. Dandelions have sprung up after our recent rains and the grass is in dire need of another mowing.

Spring is such a glorious time, but it brings lots of work. There's too much to do all at once!

Centaurea (Perennial cornflower or Bachelor's Button) grows on the edge of the garden above.

The two biggest crabapples are putting on their best display ever, while the two small ones have no blooms at all. Those rosy pink blooms are such a delight to see as the afternoon sun backlights them.

In other years the blooms have been mostly concentrated on one side, but this year they're spread all over the branches.

Wind and rain have taken a toll on the tulips and many of them, like these Van Eijks, are beginning to drop their lovely petals. Posted by Picasa

Just a few days ago they looked like this. Posted by Picasa

I don't recall ever seeing the old lilac bush in such full bloom. This is a wonderful lilac year! Posted by Picasa

These red tulips, however, haven't come back as well as they have in past years.

These pretties are "Passionale".
Notice the peonies shooting up on the right of the photo. Everything grows so fast after a good rain....especially the weeds!

Down in the lily garden there's a lovely mix of purple and pink.
Hannah is keeping me company.
I've been working at pulling out most of the Johnny Jump Ups that grow like weeds in this garden. There are still a bunch to pull on the left of the photo.

At the moment though, they look pretty with the tulips. Posted by Picasa

Over in the rock garden are these lovely Angelique tulips.


And Basket of Gold perennial Alyssum making a bright splash.

Up in the Spring Garden the Bleeding Hearts are magnificent!
Last Tuesday and Wednesday we had frost, but luckily it wasn't severe enough to damage these beautiful blooms.
Last year we had a hard frost just after they began blooming and it set them back a little. They bounced back fairly quickly though.

They're surprisingly tough for such delicate looking plants.

The white one is always a little later with it's blooms than the pinks.


Arabis (rock cress) blooms beside the big pink bush above, Posted by Picasa

....as well as Forgetmenots.

There's a bloom stalk above the lovely leaves of the Brunnera "Jack Frost". The tiny blue flowers resemble forgetmenots.

I love the combination of the Red Emporer tulips....

....and grape hyacinths.

Up around the corner in the Rose/Clematis Garden there's more purple to be found.

The gorgeous purple Iris unfolded their lovely petals just a couple of days ago.


And the Blue Heron fringed tulips have been going strong for about 2 weeks. I'm always sad to see the tulips fade. Posted by Picasa

This little beauty is Blue Ribbon.

Across the driveway is the Top Lilac Garden and the bushes are laden with blooms. I have yet to see a butterfly, but guess who showed up yesterday? The hummingbirds! It's such a joy to have them back! They're loving the Bleeding Hearts.

White tulips hold their graceful blooms high between the lilac bushes.
Do you see Hannah in the garden?


This sweet flower is Aubrietta, aka purple rock cress. It's up in the Pink Garden.... Posted by Picasa

....and so are these "Dynasty" tulips.


The creeping phlox is just beginning to bloom, and there are flowers on the lamium as well, but they're not showing in this photo. Posted by Picasa

My dear hubby planted tulips and daffodils in the veggie garden to be used for church bouquets. These reds are "Oxford", Darwin hybrids.

The "Salome" daffs are still blooming. The purple tulips are "Negrita".


Isn't she lovely? Posted by Picasa

Happy Bloom Day everyone!
Be sure to stop by Carol's May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming in gardens all over the world.
I'll try hard to catch up with as many of you as I can during the next few weeks. I've missed reading your blogs!
Isn't May rushing by?

42 comments:

Alice said...[Reply]

Well, this is a first.....this comment, I mean.

Kerri, henceforth your garden shall be known as 'Little Kuekenhof', after the famous tulip gardens of the Netherlands. Not quite a large but most of your flowers can be seen there, too.....Kuekenhof in miniature.

I'm sure you're enjoying every minute spent in your beautiful garden.....as much as we enjoy seeing the result through your lovely photos.

I may be in your hemisphere, but alas, too far away to come and help with the weeding. Wouldn't we have some fun???

How's Ross's vegie garden coming along?

joco said...[Reply]

Kerri,
Time for our monthly "Hello", "Goodbye".
Better than the Keukenhof I would say. Cosier. Why they call it kitchengarden I don't know.
Are you washed out like we are here? Just when all the campanulas are upstanding and full of buds: now all flattened.
Your tulips are lovely. My smaller ones are over, and I miss them. Only some large strays left. Also flattened by now I should think.

That backdrop of hills and fields is so enviable.
I am having my morning coffee whilst your scenes slowly materialize. (dial-up)
Lovely.
Oh.. what a generous patch of bleeding heart, and in white as well.....
Wait, there's more
Too much to mention.
thanks for the show.
jo

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Kerri these pictures are terrific. The spring flowers are so beautiful. I particularly like the second picture from the top. The colour combination of the tulips is perfect.
Happy spring days to you!
Best wishes from Kerryn in the homeland!

CP Su said...[Reply]

They are all so eye-catching but I have to say the tulips stand out (probably due to their size >"<).

Glad to see all your efforts were rewarded with the blooms Kerri :)

Judypatooote said...[Reply]

As usual the view is breath taking. I can see why it is alot of work....you have alot to cover. I love the bleeding hearts...I have one plant, and it is beautiful too....my tulips are all gone, for we have had such wind, they didn't last long.... judy

CanadianGardenJoy said...[Reply]

Kerri girl !
You have some beautiful pictures of wonderful plants here .. I'm so glad we share "Jack" he is a must in my garden and I need more of him : )
So many pretty tulips .. Bleeding Heart .. just gorgeous with the amazing scenery where you live as the back drop for them all.
I would love to live in the country like you do !

F Cameron said...[Reply]

Kerri -- Beautiful blooms!

I can't believe that deer don't come through in and eat all your tulips. Your cats must chase them away! -- I guess I need a few good cats!

I can just smell the fragrance of that lilac through the photo! It was a good year here for my little 'Miss Kim' but she's no where near the likes of your gorgeous lilac.

The crabapples remind me so much of farms. What a wonderful display.

Cameron

PS I saw so many tulips underplanted with forget-me-knots in France. It seems to be "the" springtime combination planting.

Beth said...[Reply]

Great photos Kerri - we're still on the frosty side here yet.Got down to 28 last night!

Upstate NY looks beautiful - I love the rolling hills.

Robin's Nesting Place said...[Reply]

The photo of the Angelique tulips is gorgeous with the scene in the background. Your pictures are all so delightful! I can't imagine waking up to that scenery everyday, it would be a taste of heaven for sure!

sweetbay said...[Reply]

What beautiful pictures Kerri. The landscape and your garden go so well together. Lovely!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...[Reply]

It's just beautiful there! Your pictures are so pretty. I'd never want to come inside if I lived there!

Gail said...[Reply]

Kerri, Your garden is idyllic~~the rolling hills, the beautiful backgrounds and then the delightful flowers and beds. I can see that spring would be a lot of work! But oh so worth it to see what you've created...I love the red tulips poking up in the grape hyacinth...really lovely. All of your garden is! gail

Tabor said...[Reply]

So many tulips. Do you plant mostly new each year? Mine always dwindled by year three.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...[Reply]

Kerri,

Spring really has sprung for you all. So beautiful and so much to see. I love your landscape, and the crabapples really shine within it.~~Dee

Val said...[Reply]

Isnt spring wonderful?! I bought new plants of bleeding hearts and brunnera 'jack frost' this year, as they just didnt survive our long cold snap this winter. Lovely to see yours blooming so many miles away from Dorset UK.

Pam said...[Reply]

I love seeing your pictures but they always make me dissatisfied with my little patch, with its stunning view of the back of the neighbours' houses. I want to be you! (in the summer)

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

I wish I had half as much color here! Everything looks good despite the wind and storms earlier this week. I hope today's rain didn't cost you too many tulip petals! Your beds are so lush and full it's hard to believe there is room for weeds :) I'm hoping for my first iris bloom tomorrow.

Susie said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
Haven't seen you in blogland lately and I can certainly see why. Your beautiful garden must keep you so busy. All the colors are just fantastic and I'm sure bring you so much joy.
Thanks for sharing your part of the world with us. It's blazing hot here in CA.
xo

Pam/Digging said...[Reply]

Absolutely beautiful, Kerri. It must gladden your heart to look out the window and to stroll through your garden every day.

Barbara said...[Reply]

Your garden seems to be at the height of Spring! Such a great variety of tulips, stunning and beautiful, dear Kerri. I wish you can enjoy this splendour for a longer time than we could it here. Do you let the bulbs in the soil too when the tulips are faded? I guess, so. Otherwise it would be too much work (this you have anyway in your big, big garden!), wouldn't it.
Enjoy Spring!
Barbara

em said...[Reply]

ain't spring grand! do you have the heart to cut any tulips for the house? beautiful photos!

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

Oooeee - everything looks the way spring in NY should look - and those Blue Heron tulips with the purple iris are especially lovely, Kerri.

Twenty-five years ago I bought Charles Wysocki needlepoint kits of lovely country scenes - your 4th photo with the crabapples would be a perfect picture!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

John said...[Reply]

Kerri:

Yes Spring is really here. Wonderful post, love all the bright colors.
I think Apple & I should put up the Gazbo this week or weekend.

Liisa said...[Reply]

Kerri,
What a beautiful assortment of tulips! I planted Blue Heron for the first time last fall, and I just love it! Your lilacs are gorgeous. There's nothing better than the smell of lilacs in bloom. Happy Bloom Day!!

Cris said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri, it is Monday already, and this was my green pasture this morning, I am starting the day with these images on my mind. Have a wonderful week!

Roses and Lilacs said...[Reply]

Absolutely beautiful. We have such an over abundance this time of year. It is hard to take in so much at once. I still have late dafs and tulips and the lilacs and woodland flowers...

Great bloom day photos!
Marnie

Pat said...[Reply]

So many pretties !
I don't know where to start...
know I'd love to have those cornflowers.
Hey, you have white bleeding hearts also.
Gotta love seeing your beautiful landscape every morning.

Susan Tidwell said...[Reply]

A walk through your virtual garden is like a breath of fresh air, a hug from an old friend... thanks, I needed that!

I know that as beautiful as all these early bloomers are, there is much more to look forward to in the coming weeks and months, so I will pull up my camping chair and just wait for the show to begin.

whoistracy said...[Reply]

Beautiful! Our tulips have about had it. Looking forward to the warmer weather. Love all of your spring blooms.

Northern Shade said...[Reply]

As usual you have lots of pretty vignettes in the garden. The dark purple and light pink tulip combination is a knockout. The angelique tulips look so elegant with their pink tips. The strings of hearts are so pretty, both the white and pink versions. The blue flowers of the forget me nots and Brunnera are particularly bright and pretty. It seems like there is something interesting to see around every corner of your property.

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

Your collection of tulips are gorgeous. Your garden is looking so spring-like. Happy GBBD.

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

Kerri! Everything in your garden is so alive and full of such beautiful scenery! I adore the Angelique I featured them on my bloom day post! I love/love them..so like a peony and so long lasting!
Enjoy this season in your garden! It's always a pleasure to stop by!hugs

Layanee said...[Reply]

You live in a beautiful place made more so by your cultivating hands! I concur that the lilacs are putting forth their best show in years.

Amber said...[Reply]

Its amazing how similar the garden is to mine in Seden. So many of the same flowers and I love your colour combinations. Gorgeous photos.

Midlife Mom said...[Reply]

Gorgeous gardens Kerri! I can't have tulips here as the deer snip all the blooms off. One year I planted 700 bulbs and they got almost all of them. They have dwindled over the years and now I don't have any. :o( I took pictures yesterday so plan to do a post on them today or tomorrow. It's been the best spring growing year we have had in a long time. The lilacs are fabulous like yours!
Take care! xoxo

Christy Woolum said...[Reply]

You are about a week ahead of us. Very lovely pictures. I agree with you about the lilacs. They are just amazing this year. Perhaps all that snow nourished them in the winter. lol.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, Lots and lots of beautiful different tulips and other spring flowers. Spring is so intense, more so after a very cold winter. Everything flowers quickly like it wouldn't like to miss the spring fair. I guess that is the trick of nature. It must be a lovely time for you even there are also many tasks, like weeding as the weeds grow usually as fast if not faster then the flowers.
The garden looks a real treat. Love your rural, peaceful countrysite.

Giroflée said...[Reply]

hello Kerri ,
Ilove your area abd garden thank you very much to share
friendly

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

what joy these flowers bring....they can light up anyone's life instantly....i love, love, love all your purple blooms and when coupled with pink, they are just dreamy!!!!!! It's kinda sad to first see daffodils go away and as you said now tulips are fading...but I am looking forward to wild flowers springing up...i have already seen some of them on our hills here.....hopefully soon all hills will come alive with them.......

we had a very sodden week but sun's shining now .....and the eggs in my hanging basket have started to hatch......i can see three clear beaks now.....

have a great weekend!!!!! :)

Pam said...[Reply]

Ah, so pretty. Why don't I live in the country?

Jan said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri! I am late to your May GBBD post, but wanted to say hi, anyway! I didn't even do a bloom-day post in May. Hopefully I'll get one done in time for June's! I enjoyed your tour of the gardens in your yard, and seeing the big lilac bush just reminds me of the gorgeous one my grandmother had, when I was just a child. I recently planted 3 small bushes...but only got a 'taste' of blooms in the spring; there is one plant that is supposed to bloom closer to the summer, so I'm still waiting on that one;-) I love the variety of tulips you've got planted there! Hope you are doing well these days!

Cathy S. said...[Reply]

Hey Kerri,

Please stop by my blog, I have an award for you.

Thanks,
Cathy