Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fun & Games with Bailey

Bailey's "folks" are back from their vacation, so he's gone home, and Jasmine seems to be missing him. The morning after he'd gone she wandered around meowing, looking for him. She has all the barn kitties to play with, but she's the only house cat and I guess she enjoyed having company in the house.

The barn cats & Jasmine playing with Bailey's cord. Here we have Madelaine (Jasmine's sister) on the left, then Pete, Finnegan, Bailey (tied), Jasmine and Cleo.

Bailey is an indoor cat because Wes and Sandy lost their last kitty to the road. They live at the bottom of a steep hill and some people don't use much common sense when they come roaring down the hill, so it's a dangerous place for cats to live. When he does go outside Bailey is tied by a long cord to a weight, so he gets a little fresh air, but stays safe.

We did the same while he was with us, and the cats were completely captivated with that cord! It was the funniest thing to watch.

Hey, were'd my people go?

Notice that Bailey has extra toes on all 4 feet. His back feet are huge! He was born in our barn 2 summers ago to Sheba.

Here she is in June with Fiona , one of her spring litter of 3. This is the kitten whose picture I posted back in May with the pictures of the little fawn. Posted by Picasa



The cats played with the cord for hours.........

And Bailey enjoyed their company........... Posted by Picasa



............for the most part :)
Jasmine can be a bit bossy sometimes.

The black kitten on the right is Gus, another one of Sheba's kittens from this year's litter.

Jaz & Bailey played together indoors too. Posted by Picasa

When afternoon feeding time comes..........

the cats get pretty anxious to see me heading toward the barn......

Could you hurry please Mom! Posted by Picasa

Max thought he should stay and keep Bailey company.
Come on Max, or you'll miss out!

Pepper says, "Bailey, are you coming?"

No, he has to stay behind.
Jasmine, you keep Bailey company, OK?Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

clairesgarden said...[Reply]

endless hours of fun watching what the cats get up to.

Jellyhead said...[Reply]

Oh my goodness those back feet are funny!!

It must be way better than 'Desperate Housewives' - watching your cats at play!

Anonymous said...[Reply]

The cats are cute, but what I'm loving is that faded red barn with the yellow flowers flopping over beside it. It's so picturesque it could be on a postcard. Lucky you!

Alice said...[Reply]

"Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.." (I'm reluctant to say 'pussy'....lol)

The only other thing I can say is "Purrrrrrr"!!!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

haha...they are such an adorable bunch ..how can you not smile :)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri
You are really a pet(cat)lover also!!!! What a funto read the lines under the photo's, I really enjoyed watching them each one by one,I also love looking at the spacious area you live in!

Again we have that in commom, I love cats VERY MUCH, we had 3 before I had this dog, now the cowsinfront (and nearby my house) are helping me to show my animals love.

Today I posted a fantastic face of a REDhaired cow (like me redhead :) , you can hardly see her eyes.

:) Thanks for your great post!!
JOAnn from Holland

Elzie said...[Reply]

I just love the cats. They're so beautiful.
Now I wonder if you could do me a favour? I used to visit Anita in Germany on her blog but now I can't come to it. Could you, if you're able to visit it, tell her that I would love to be "invited" to it cause I just love her garden. It would be very nice of you.
Love Elzie

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

I truly enjoyed this post!! I LoVe all the cats!! You live my dream on that farm....oh my I would be in heaven with all your cats!! Thank you for posting this it warmed my heart!!
hugs NG

Giddy said...[Reply]

Having been newly "adopted" by a loving, little black cat, I'm enjoying your posts even more these days!

HORIZON said...[Reply]

I just love where you live Kerri- can imagine how tranquil it must be with your own little community of cats too. Endless hours of watching them l bet- each one with its own little character- l have a soft spot for Bailey.
We have quite a few cats around here but my favourite one is Oliver next door. He is an old cat now and plenty of younger ones come sniffing around the place to try and take over but he is still the alpha cat/ holding his own. Can you say 'alpha-cat'- they say 'alpha-dog'? lol Anyway l like Oliver. l enjoy him doing his rounds in the morning, taking his same walk up along the stone wall, on top of our shed and then into the forest- it's nice to watch and l will miss him. Sometimes we take these small pleasures for granted until they are gone and then you’re looking around for what you’re missing. l know for certain that you're not though ;)
Hugs Kerri- hope all goes well for you this week and next, and the next after that one-lol
xx

Terri said...[Reply]

I think it's amazing that the cats didn't fight! Our Oliver challenges anything on 4 feet that comes anywhere near our place!!
Terri

Mrs. Darling said...[Reply]

I have awarded you the nice matter award. You can pick it up on my blog.

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

Your house, barn, yard and cats could be illustrations for a book, Kerri! Does that weight work pretty well? Is there a special collar so Bailey won't get the cord hung up and hurt himself? It seems like a pretty cool idea!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Jeanette said...[Reply]

Ohh Bailey you do have big feet. loved sitting here watching the cats at play. and i love the red barn with the yellow daisies. and bush.It is amazing we can all watched the eclipse from our own backyards.

Deborah Raney said...[Reply]

The cats are beautiful. Oh, how I wish we lived in the country so we could have more. (And how many do you have??) My teenage daughter and I are lobbying hard to keep one of the 5 kittens our adopted stray presented us with a few weeks ago. We have homes for all but two, and still it makes me teary just to think of saying goodbye to them! They are at that darling pouncing/prancing/wrestling stage.

Catherine said...[Reply]

Loved looking at all your cats, and pictures...Can't belive they dont fight! How much fun it must be to watch them play! Love the pic with the red barn, and yellow flowers, and all the cats...gorgeous shot!! The grey and white cat looks kinda like our cat ~ Avalanche ~My son named him , said he looked like white snow on a grey mountain, we call him avie for short. Enjoyed your post and all the wonderful pics!

CountryGirl said...[Reply]

Bailey is probably wondering where all his friends went even more than poor Jasmine! It's neat how they get along. My Dad had a farm when we were growing up and the cats all hung out togehter but my Franklin thinks he is king. We had a cute drop off kitten a couple years ago that Liz so wanted us to keep. Franklin was just too big a bully and wasnt' having a new cat in the house! I checked out your Cornell Plantations posts from last year! WOW! Your photos are wonderful! I need to get back at different times during the season. It was very nice when we went but I wonder if the time of year and dry summer didn't give me as spectacular a visit. A good excuse to go back!

Diana LaMarre said...[Reply]

Loved the spider web shots. What fun!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

We loved all of your cat pictures. Jimmy thought we had lots of cats, but I think he's now convinced that you win that prize. I just love my kitties.