Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Wedding and a Passing.

It's been 15 days since I've posted, which seems a very long time to me. These past 2 weeks have been filled with activities and work, so spare time has been at a minimum. After a long day, When I finally sit down to do a little blogging at night I tend to nod off, and consequently, haven't managed to put a post together, or do much visiting. I've missed you all! Hopefully I'll eventually get around to visiting with you to catch up on all that you've been up to.

Our weather has been mostly sunny and warm (we actually need rain!), perfect for gardening, but I've been working at school, so haven't had enough time to keep up with everything. My gardens are very untidy and looking a bit neglected at the moment. I've been planting containers and window boxes, and now I'm beginning to plant some annuals. I'll post pictures of the gardens soon. The peonies are budding, the bleeding heart are almost finished blooming (I will post the promised pictures of it soon), and I still have some iris blooming, among other things.

Ross has the vegetable garden all planted (well, he keeps adding a few things), and it's looking great. It's huge! He planted 125 hills of squash and pumpkins....and there are only 2 of us! He likes to try new varieties....and feed the neighbors!



Kylie and Ko held their wedding reception on June 2nd. Some of you may remember that they were married in a small ceremony at the Cornell Plantations last September. (Clicking the links will take you to those posts, and there are two more posts with pictures of the plantations here and here, if you're interested in seeing those beautiful gardens).
Ross says Kylie and Ko may have set a record for the longest period of time between the wedding and the reception :)
It was a very informal gathering, with a friend performing the Master of Ceremonies duty. He proved to be a stand up comedian and had us in stitches with stories of the couple's romance.

Kathy, our youngest, served as bridesmaid, and another friend, Paul, was the best man.

Kylie surprised us then by singing that old favorite song, "Our Love is Here to Stay" to her husband. It was a very touching moment (which brought tears to her mom and dad's eyes) and she did a beautiful job, singing acappella in her sweet, clear voice. She was a little emotional and nervous, but I was filled with admiration for her having courage and determination to do it. Posted by Picasa

Ko's lovely family


The reasoning behind the lengthy gap between the wedding ceremony and reception was that Ko's parents live in Japan and were planning to make a trip this June for Ko's graduation from Cornell upon completion of his PHD in Sociology. So that the parents need only make one trip, Kylie and Ko waited to have the reception at the time they would be here in the United States. Ko's brother and his wife live in sunny California. We fell in love with his family and had a wonderful time with them. I'm sad that they live so far away but we'll keep in touch.

Here is the whole family group, minus our son, Andrew, who was taking the picture, and our DIL, who is shy of being on the blog :)





During the cake cutting (a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting...Kylie's favorite) the couple showed restraint and thankfully, no cake was shoved into faces. But apparently Ko was feeling mischievous and decided that dignity is no fun, because shortly afterward he could be seen chasing Kylie with a piece of cake in hand. She ended up with just a little frosting on her face :) Posted by Picasa

The weather was very hot and humid, with showers and thunderstorms predicted, but we were lucky and had only one small shower a couple of hours before the reception. As you can see, the party was held beside the lake and once the sun set the air cooled off nicely. It was a perfect setting for a wedding reception, and a wonderful time was had by all.

August 5th, 1916 - June 10th, 2007


On a much sadder note, my 90 year-old father passed away in Australia on June 10th. Dad's health had been failing for some time so it wasn't unexpected. He is now free from any pain and suffering after living a long life. May he rest in peace.
Dad loved to fish, so I've posted a picture of him taken during a 2-week fishing trip to Tasmania. He had a ball! That's one huge lobster!

My dear mother died in 1996.
It's a strange feeling to be without parents Posted by Picasa

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
I hope to find time to post pictures of the gardens soon!

34 comments:

Susie said...[Reply]

Dearest Kerri,
The pictures of the wedding reception are delightful! What a gorgeous setting..
They make such a happy couple!
on a sadder note...
Bill and I send you our sincere sympathy on the loss of your Dad.
What a happy photo you posted to remember him doing something he loved.
May he rest in peace...
love and ((hugs))
xoxo

Motherkitty said...[Reply]

Kerri, so very sorry to read about your dear dad's passing. I know exactly how you feel when both parents are no longer with you. You feel like an orphan. That's how I felt when my dad died in 1995 (mother died in 1993). All that's left of our immediate family is my sister and I. That's a wonderful picture of him holding that giant lobster. My stomach is rumbling just looking at it.

The pictures of the wedding reception were outstanding. Congratulations to your SIL upon his graduation. Your daughter and he look so much in love and so happy. It was wonderful that his family was able to make the trip from Japan for both occasions.

(I know what you mean about a neglected garden. I spent the last several mornings weeding. It's a never-ending task but things are looking up around here.) Glad that you are back posting. We've missed you. I've checked just about every day and was sad when you weren't posting anything. How're your kitties?

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

I'm saddened to hear of your father's passing and wish I could give you a hug. How hard it must be to have such a happy occasion followed so closely by your loss.

As always your daughters are lovely. Kylie and Ko's joy radiates through the pictures. And congratulations to Doctor Ko on his PhD!

10 1/2 days to go and our neglected gardens can have our attention for the summer. :)

Linda said...[Reply]

Kerri, Your lovely post is just filled with the "stuff" of life - the joy and the sorrow. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I know his passing leaves a huge empty space in your heart. The comfort is knowing all is well with him now.
The wedding pictures are delightful. There is such joy and love. Congratulations to all of you.
My little flower garden is in rather sorry shape right now too. It's just too blasted hot to get out there and weed!! I'm hoping for a cool evening :-)
It was good to catch up with you.

kylieps said...[Reply]

Hi Mum,
what a lovely post- that's a great picture of Grandpa and just how I always think of him. Thanks for only putting up the flattering pictures of me! And thanks to all the blog friends for the good wishes!
Kylie

Jellyhead said...[Reply]

Kerri,

I am so sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away. Although you say it was expected, and that he is now free of discomfort and suffering, it is still a big loss to lose your father. I am thinking of you and sending you a great big HUG.

The photos are beautiful. I especially love that one of Kylie on her own, just looking radiant!

Take care of yourself,
XOXO Jelly

Laurie and Chris said...[Reply]

Kerri ~ The wedding reception looked like a great time. I think it is great that the whole family could get togther like that for such a happy reason.

I'm so sorry about your father.

Carole Burant said...[Reply]

Hello dear Kerri, I'm back from my trip and trying to play catch up again! I'm so very sorry to hear of your dad's passing...loved that picture of him and that's how you must remember him:-) I'm so glad to hear that Kylie and Ko's reception went so well..I'm heading up this coming weekend to Shawn & Wendy's...they're having their reception on Saturday. They were married in Mexico on April 25th:-) Beautiful pictures as usual!! xox

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

i'm sorry to hear about your dad, Kerri....that picture of him made me smile..is he proud of his catch!!! :)
and the wedding reception pics were delightful..i have said this before and will say again...i love inter-racial marriages...am on my way soon to attend an Indo-Irish marriage..so looking forward to that one!!!

OldRoses said...[Reply]

Kerri, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's great that you have been able to be surrounded by your loving family at this trying time.

Val said...[Reply]

Kerri, how sad that you no longer have your parents, and your comment at the end (It's a strange feeling to be without parents) is one that I have thought of many times in recent years. It's hard to live so far away from your parents. My sincerest condolences to you.

I do wish to comment though on the wonderful celebration you had for Kylie and Ko. What a lovely idea to delay the reception, spreading out the joy.

LindaD said...[Reply]

As always - thanks for sharing your heart with us - My Mom's been gone since I was 28 and my ad ten years later. Still reading your post and seeing such a happy picture of your Dad, I could feel your loss. How wonderful he's no longer suffering.

What a wonderful, joyous reception and such a beautiful family. Life always balances out, doesn't it?

I've missed your posts lately..

Alice said...[Reply]

Lovely photos from the wedding. Glad you had such a good time. I can well imagine a little tear or two at listening to Kylie sing to her husband.

Also glad you had a happy photo of your Dad. It will help you remember the good times.

I hope your good weather continues (with rain at night) and that you can return to your beloved garden. It will help to bring peace and tranquility to your soul.

Cris said...[Reply]

You were missed Kerri, thanks for sharing this such beautiful moment with all of us, you all look so happy. Congratulations! Ko's family is adorable, congratulations on his PhD!!! My older son says he'll go to the US to study, maybe one day I will go through this too. So sorry to hear about your father, what a great picture and beautiful way to remember him! xoxox

Tabor said...[Reply]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabor said...[Reply]

I guess we are all going through that transition of losing our parents. Both mine are now gone. Dad this past year and my mom a few years ago. It is a strange feeling no matter how much you realize that this time will come to pass. Your father looks like a lovely old gent!

(I deleted the above---soo many typos)

sonia a. mascaro said...[Reply]

Oh Kerri, I am so sorry to hear about your dear Dad. I feel the same, it's sad feeling to be without parents.

I love the pictures from the wedding. I am glad you all had such a lovely time! Many hugs to you my dear!

Sharon said...[Reply]

So sorry to here about the passing of your father. I also have lost both parents and my only sister and it is very hard to realize you are the only one here on earth. I am happy that you had a happy time at the second wedding and it looks like it was a success. Hugs to you.......
Sharon K

LostRoses said...[Reply]

Kerri, welcome back to blogging, and what a lovely post. The reception pictures are great, what a happy family!

Wonderful photo of your father; that's a very nice tribute to a special dad. I know what you mean about the "orphan" feeling - not so strange that we feel that as adults too. Family ties are very strong.

Tammy said...[Reply]

So sorry to hear of your Father's passing...I know you must be very sad about it...but, I'm glad you had a gathering with your family...it looked beautiful!
(((hugs)))

Sigrun said...[Reply]

Kerri, all my best wishes for your beautiful daughter( which looks like her mother).

Sigrun

Giddy said...[Reply]

My most heartfelt condolences on the passing of your dear father. My mom and dad are both in their 80's and gratefully, in great health, but at that age, you worry about them nonetheless.

Your family gathering looked so warm and happy!

HORIZON said...[Reply]

A time of very mixed emotions Kerri- sorry l have been away so long.
Sincere congratulations to Kylie and Ko- l remember the photos from their wedding well. l am so pleased that the day turned out well.
Very sad news about your dad and wish l were around the corner to give you a hug. This must be a hard time for you.
Please pass on to Kylie that she has great taste in cakes- her favourite is mine also ;) l made it just last week.
bests dear friend and hope you have been keeping well.xoxo hugs again

Judypatooote said...[Reply]

Your daughter is beautiful...you look like you all have a wonderful time at the reception....what a lovely place to have it.... I'm so sorry to hear about your dad... it is so hard to loose them...he live a long life though....I still get the urge to call my mom on the phone every now and then....

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri, I'm so sorry about the death of your father. I know that this week must have been filled with great emotion for you, both happy and sad.

The reception pictures of the family are lovely and I'm glad that you got to meet the family from Japan. It sounds like everyone had a good time.

Love that picture of your dad and I believe that's the BIGGEST lobster that I have ever seen. I love to eat them, but they never have none that size! at the restaurant.

I've been lagging in my blog posting because I've been too busy being gone. Since I started using that breathing machine at night I have so much more energy and there just aren't enough hours in the day to do the things I want to do now. hehehe

Wish Ross a Happy Father's Day and tell him not to work too hard on that garden, but I'm sure that he enjoys planting such a big garden and now that he's retired he has all the time in the world to do the things he enjoys doing.

Merle said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri ~~ A great post of your daughter and her husband with lovely
photos, I wish them both much happiness. And I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Dad. Great picture of him and his lobster, We just have
to remember all the happy times and be glad he is at rest now with no more pain. Take care of yourself,
Love, Merle.

Christy Woolum said...[Reply]

The joy in all the faces at the reception is beautiful to see. What a time to celebrate such join, then sorrow at the passing of your father. The lobster picture is perfect.

Philosophical Karen said...[Reply]

So sorry for your loss Kerri. That picture of your father happy with his catch is a perfect tribute.

Geraldo said...[Reply]

Kerry,
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father 3 years ago, and I know what you mean about the feeling. It's good to know, on the other hand, that your father, like mine, lived a long life. Our loved ones will always live in our memories...

Diana LaMarre said...[Reply]

Kerri,
I am sad to hear of your loss. No matter what age we are, I think it must hurt terribly to lose a parent.

I am glad you have such wonderful memories to hold on too.

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

First I wish to say how sorry I am about your father's passing. I understand how lonely it feels to be without a parent. It's an insecure feeling to be an orphan at any age.

Now about the reception. What lovely pictures you captured. Your daughter is just beautiful and I certainly admire her fortitude to sing in a microphone in front of everyone. WOW! My knees would be knocking so bad I'd have to sit down.

Midlife Mom said...[Reply]

So sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. I remember when my MIL lost both of her parents and commented how funny it made her feel to all of a sudden be the 'older folks'. The picture of him is just wonderful, how precious that is that you have that as a rememberance of him. The wedding pictures are lovely! Your daughter was so brave to sing to her new husband, she must love him very much!

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

It's now June 23rd as I read your post and try to imagine what your family has been feeling - how hard it must have been to encounter such joy and such sadness in the space of a few days.

The party looks like fun, and Kylie and Ko are a beautiful couple; who could not love the combination of classic Gershwin and classic Carrot cake! Go Kylie!

My dad's been gone 10 years, Kerri, born the same summer as your dad. I give you all my sympathy, and can send quite a lot of empathy, too.

Your friend Annie in Austin

Marlene Depler said...[Reply]

I have been so behind on reading my favorite blogs. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father. It is always hard to say good-bye regardless of the age of our loved ones.Please accept my condolences.