Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wildflowers of summer

This is the third wildflower post in my series of photos taken during the spring and summer of last year. The difficulty has been in choosing just a few of the hundreds of photos I took! For instance, the orange daylilies could be found in great clumps bordering corn fields, or mixed gloriously with other wildflowers along the country roads. I could do an entire post just using photos of these gorgeous flowers, but I have so many others I want to include as well.

My first 2 wildflower posts are
here and here if you'd like to look at them.

I've found two websites very helpful in my quest to identify and gather information about the various wildflowers I've noticed during my drives and walks. They are The Connecticut Botanical Society and Wildflowers of the Northeastern and Northcentral USA

You'll find beautiful graphics of each individual bloom on the second site.

Daylily - Hemerocallis fulva




Lilies beside a cornfield the second week in July


Lilies and lace

Here the lilies are mixed with Queen Anne's Lace and what I think is Poison Hemlock. I've had a hard time finding a positive identification for this one, so if anyone can help, please let me know. Both the latter plants are members of the carrot family. You can also see it in the next photo.

Beauty beside a small country road Posted by Picasa

As I mentioned in my first post, the roadsides didn't get their usual Spring mowing by the county workers because of an extremely wet June, so we were treated to an abundant display of wildflowers lining the roads.

Queen Anne's Lace and birdfoot trefoil

Notice the tiny spot of red in the center of the Queen Anne's lace flower head.

Opening flowerhead

Before the intricate flowerhead unfurls it looks like this, and is wonderfully fascinating. There's often a bright little bug of some kind to be found hiding in the hollow.

Mayweed and birdfoot trefoil Posted by Picasa

The Mayweed looks a lot like Oxeye Daisies, but the foliage is more lacey. It belongs to the Aster family. It's also known as Stinking Chamomile (charming name!) and Dogfennel. The Trefoil belongs to the Pea family.


St. Johnswort and Musk Mallow

The St. Johnswort belongs to the Mangosteen family.


Lilies and mallow

The front yard of the house hidden around the corner is full of both lilies and mallow. The people who live there apparently love both flowers so much that they've also planted this bank below their house full of them. What a fantastic display it makes! Lilies apparently love lots of water because they flourished during our wet Spring and Summer of 2006 more than I've ever noticed before.

Musk Mallow (Malva Moschata)

Mallow has a family of it's own (Mallow - Malvaceae). I absolutely love this shade of pink!


Here's more of it brightening the bank of a stream beside the road.



Further up the hill lilies were growing beside elderberry bushes.


Lilies and elderberries a bit closer. Posted by Picasa

On this particular stretch the roadsides were really spectacular.



Berry bushes grow beside the mallow and many other wildflowers lining the banks.


It's hard to find a website that shows the various native berries. I've found chokeberries, pin cherries, and others, but I haven't found photos that clearly show the differences. If anyone knows their berries, or a good website for them, I'd appreciate the information.

We had another snow storm yesterday and the snow continues to fall today, but it's not bad compared to what we've experienced lately. Mother Nature teased us with a warm-up at the beginning of the week with temperatures around 50º and 60ºF (10 to 15C), but now we're back in the 20's and 30's (-1 to -6C).

Spring is coming though, and we have much to look forward to!


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

42 comments:

TJ said...[Reply]

I loved this post...I needed some summertime warmth!!
We had a bit of snow this morning...sigh!! I hope that is the last of it!!
Happy St Patrick's Day to You!!
:-D
PS...I changed my blog address and sent out an email but many of them bounced back to me...just go to my profile above and you should be able to come right over....

Jean said...[Reply]

Wonderful pictures! I really enjoyed the walk. It sure doesn't look like spring is anywhere near here!

kylieps said...[Reply]

Beautiful photos- as usual, Mum! Isn't this weather hateful? I can't wait for spring.
smooch

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

I love all of the pictures but especially the lilies. I've always called them ditch lilies and they grow in abundance all along my route. I can’t wait for their distinctive green color as they start to push up put of the soil! With the weather we’re having it may be June before they start! I’m sorry you got more snow. We only added about 4” to our pile for which I am grateful.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Cris said...[Reply]

Kerri, I love lilies, my mother-in-law has so many at the farm, and everytime I go there they look different, I also have so many pictures of them, need to post some. Sorry I have not responded your e-mail yet, will do it soon, and for my hubby's birthday today, guess what cake I baked? It's in the oven, I made ahead for tomorrow, bday was today though. Oh, the bread was really delicious, my friend had to save some for me. :-)

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

Thanks for part three, Kerri. Even the roadsides are gardens where you live! I haven't seen any of the Queen Anne's Lace/Orange daylilies on roadsides here, but have seen some in gardens. Maybe the deer like them, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

sonia a. mascaro said...[Reply]

Happy St. Patrick's Day as well, Kerri!

Love all the flower's photos! All are beautiful as always!

HORIZON said...[Reply]

Hope you had a lovely St. Patrick's Day dear Kerri. Thank you for your comment over at my blog-you really made me smile when you called me a 'bonnie lass'. :) You are so very kind and never ever leave a post that is not totally thoughtful.
We have been forecast snow for the next few days so l was thinking of you and those snow pics. you posted not that long ago- that amount of snow was shocking- another world-and yet yesterday you had another snow storm! Keep warm dear friend.
Now finally to this post-lol. Loved all the beautiful flowers growing by the roadside- let’s hope they do not do any spring mowing this year as well. The countryside where you live is just stunning Kerri.
Hugs and bests

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Beautiful pictures! And lilies growing in 'the wild'...wow

Gotta Garden said...[Reply]

What a wonderful three part series! It should be a magazine article! In fact, it's better than some garden magazine articles I've seen lately!

I once saw a wild azalea blooming by the side of a road around here. By the time I thought that maybe I could/should rescue it, it was too late...construction was ongoing and it was gone...

Anyway, what beautiful walks you take! And, I just love that you stop to notice the flowers!

Enjoyed this very much!

Susie said...[Reply]

I'm so glad you have these wonderful wildflower pictures to remind you how lovely it will be when all that snow finally goes away! I've been trying very hard to send you some sunshine, but it's been wanting to stay here!
Those bright red berries look so pretty..Wonder if they're edible?
xoxox

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Very Monet-ish :-)
I love your photos.

david santos said...[Reply]

Hello, Kerri!
This work is very good. Thank you
Good week

Laurie and Chris said...[Reply]

Beautiful pictures. I can't wait for Spring to get here and for the flowers to start blooming.

Midlife Mom said...[Reply]

Kerri, Just beautiful flowers! It gives us hope for spring to come sometime soon. We just got nailed with snow, sleet, rain, hail, wind and feezing rain so we're in to winter for a while longer. your fowers brightened my day and I really believe you should publish these pictures.

Linda said...[Reply]

Every time I look at your pictues I travel back to Truthville, NY. I particularly love the Queen Anne's Lace. I remember picking it for a bouquet.
You've done such a beautiful job!!

Christy Woolum said...[Reply]

I love being reminded of what is to come. Hopefully your snow will leave soon. I did see a crocus today. There is hope!

David (Snappy) said...[Reply]

Kerri what an awesome collection of photographs.I love your pictures.Keep on blogging, its been a while since i dropped by.Am back online and have been blogging a bit.Drop by soon!:)

Judypatooote said...[Reply]

I love queen annes lace....i always thought it looked like adelvise....(don't mind my spelling) it's the flower found in Germany....I have a necklace my dad bought me with one in the middle.....I hope your not snowed in, it looks like NY has had it's share of it.....we are suppose to get wintery mix this afternoon. I wish that old mother nature would make up her mind......

Susan Tidwell said...[Reply]

Kerri, thanks so much for waiting 'til now to post these, I fear they would not have been so appreciated in the summer! Especially love the corn field with lilies...

thanks for sharing

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

I'm so thankful that the road department didn't get to mow last year because of all the rain...otherwise we wouldn't of gotten to see all the beautiful wildflowers in your post.

It's such a delight to have seen all these pictures at this time with our temps in the 30's. Can't wait for warm weather and the sight & smell of blooming flowers along the roadways as I ride.

Sandy said...[Reply]

Just what I needed! Some color besides grey. I am trying to be patient waiting on Spring....but this has to be the worst winter we have ever had. Rain and wind, rain and wind. This week is Spring break for my son and I guess we are going to have to do indoor stuff! I was hoping to do some Spring skiing but the snow isn't that great right now. Thanks for the lovely pictures...they cheered me up!

Layanee said...[Reply]

A lovely walk on the wild side! Thanks! It feels as though spring will never come with all this new snow!

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

Just beautiful. Isn't it amazing that some people call these lovely flowers weeds?
A few years ago I took a super macro picture of a buttercup and was amazed at it's beauty. Also a simple dandelion is wonderfully made.
I did a seed exchange several years ago and discovered that what might be considered a pest weed to one is a prized beauty to another.
I would love to see lily's and queen anne's lace growing together in my yard. You have inspired me!!!

Alice said...[Reply]

If one gets tired of gardening, just let the wildflowers take over. They are so beautifully colourful and grow in such profusion.

I can imagine the difficulty in selecting just a few photos of such beauty. I'm sure you look at them and think every photo is better than the last one, and wish you could post them all.

Thank you so much for sharing some of your countryside, Kerri - so very different from ours.

Sigrun said...[Reply]

Kerry, for a long time I don't know, what Mallow means. Than I baught me a porcellain with flowers, now I know it.

Your photos make me feeling like summer!

Sigrun

Memories Catcher said...[Reply]

Wonderful pictures!This work is very good.Beautiful colors.Well done!

Shelley said...[Reply]

Its like the Garden of Eden...so lovely and natural looking. How I would love to stroll there.

Keri...thank you for all the well-wishes and support you've given me during the illness and death of my husband. Friendships help to mend broken hearts.

--Shelley

Stuart said...[Reply]

Gorgeous photos Kerri. You sure can take a pretty mean picture... The colours (spelled 'colours') are just delicious.

david santos said...[Reply]

Hello!
Good day, Kerri!

Teresa Calcao said...[Reply]

OMG,what a beautiful blog and awesome pictures....thank you!
Happy Spring!!!!!!

JunieRose2005 said...[Reply]

AHHH- I love these wildflowers!

Nothing prettier!

Junie

Carole Burant said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri,

I so love all your flower pictures, always a delight on the eyes!! I wish I knew my flowers as well as you do!! Still no flowers over here, in fact we had another snowfall yesterday and it's been staying very cold...hopefully that will change soon!! xox

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

i happened to hop across to ur blog and am glad i did so...absolutely love the colors and the myriad flowers on ur blog....happy gardening!!! :)

Jeanette said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri
Just love those wild flowers
there lovely.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...[Reply]

Another beautiful posting Kerri, I’m surprised to see that day lilies grow wild in your countryside, how wonderful. The picture of the lilies beside the cornfield is stunning, what a gorgeous sight and the perfume!!!!!

I think you are correct, it does look like hemlock. I love the Queen Anne’s Lace, so pretty.

Are your wild flowers protected. In this country it is illegal to pick ours.

Thank you for treating us to such a wonderful array of countryside flowers, I really am surprise you have such a variety.

Thanks for your recent comments. I know it would be much appreciated if you sent a postcard to the children of .

Wish the weather would pick up for you.

Happy first day of spring - Marion

Greg C said...[Reply]

With all that green you were ready for St Patrick's day. Lovely picture Kerri.

Sharon said...[Reply]

It is cold in Ohio and your beautiful pictures just made my day. Thanks for the walk through your fields of flowers. I can see why it would be hard to pick out favorites when they are all so beautiful. When you have time come and visit and whatch a slide show of Amelia Rose Cottage......Hugs my friend....Sharon K

Pear tree cottage! said...[Reply]

Kerri,
just beautiful each and every photo and to think in the not too distant future it will all be on show again and your summer will blooming once more.

thank you for sharing with us.

DellaB said...[Reply]

Beautiful Kerri, absolutely... and thanks for the links...

Somebody said to me the other day that a good 'joke' post gives them a laugh and enlivens their day. Me too, but I am much more moved by the beautiful garden posts, cannot get enough of them. Bet you DO have a mountain of photos, too.

And, thank you for leaving me good wishes on my 1st Blogiversary post, very much appreciated.

Oh, and we've had our first few chilly mornings, moving into autumn and winter, no snow where I am though, but it will be a relief to get out of this summer heat and drought..

Serena said...[Reply]

One of the main ways to tell Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) apart from Hemlock is that the wild carrot has little hairs all over the stems and the hemlock stems are smooth. The pictures that are up close and very clear that you have are Queen Anne's Lace. Once you learn the differences, it is not hard to make the identification. If it does not have little hairs on it is hemlock and deadly. The wild carrot is actually edible and healthy, but you do really need to know the difference.

Shalom,
Serena

Serena said...[Reply]

The lilies and lace picture is what looks like hemlock to me. The other ones are wild carrot.

Shalom,
Serena