Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Five Things


Five Things You May Not Know About Me

Claire of Claire’s Garden tagged me to do this meme back in December and I’m just now getting around to it. I’m not good at thinking of answers for memes!
So finally……here are 5 things you may not know about me (plus a few pictures!!).

Monday morning, looking out our back door

1. Growing up in sunny Australia, I didn’t see snow until I was 18 years old! That was in the southern part of NSW, on a skiing holiday at Perisher Valley.
Living here in NY since the age of 23, I’ve seen enough snow to last me a good long time. It was late arriving this winter, but it seems to be here to stay for a while now. The big chill has set in for a while.

Pete walked with me in the snow yesterday morning.


2. During my growing up years, when I wasn’t reading or sewing, I was drawing. It’s still something I love to do, but I very rarely take the time to do it these days.


A Pink and gray galah was one of my favorite pets during the pet shop years. It talked!

3. My parents owned a pet shop while I was growing up, and consequently I had all kinds of pets….cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, fish…..nothing big like horses or cows though. I added cows to the list when I married my husband and moved here to the farm in NY :)



Jasmine came with me to the mail box...January 18th

4. My mind wanders easily, making me not a very good listener sometimes, but I do try hard to stay focused! I really am interested in what you’re telling me….honest! :)


1980 in Australia


5. I consider raising our 3 children to be the most interesting, enjoyable and rewarding job I’ve ever had, with never a dull moment. That’s not to say it’s always been a piece of cake, but the joy has far outweighed the few rough spots, and I’m forever thankful for the continued blessings they bring me.

Our 3 kids at our son's wedding

And as a reward we now have grandchildren!!! (The ultimate joy!) I highly recommend them!

(picture taken last year by my DIL or son)

I’m not going to tag anyone specifically, but please feel free to do this if you want to. Let me know if you do, because I’d love to read your answers.



21 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Well you just did a wonderful job on your meme. To top it off you added pictures...very nice.

How fun for you when you were young to be part of a business that involved animals. Owning a pet shop would be a hoot to a kid. Now I know why you feel so comfortable having so many cats. Love their pictures.

You have a lovely family.

Take care,
Connie

Susie said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
Well I thought I knew a good bit about you, but I didn't know your parents had a pet store.
All your pictures are delightful and I especially love the Jasmine in the snow and your grandsons at the beach!
Memes are a good way to find out such fun things!
xoxox

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...[Reply]

Your pictures are wonderful, as always. To grow up without snow and end up here!, well I just can't imagine how hard that would be. I wish your grandkids were closer for you.

Jeanette said...[Reply]

HI Kerri
Love the photo's you have posted with your Meme.how wonderfull growing up with all the animals in a pet shop. BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRR
I only like to look at pictures of the snow not live in it . (((Hugs)))

Laurie and Chris said...[Reply]

I forgot all about this meme. I was going to do it but never got around to it. I love all your photos. It looks like you got about the same amount of snow as we have.

TJ said...[Reply]

Your whole family is just too pretty!!
Loved this post Kerri!!
:-D

Anita said...[Reply]

Very nice post indeed, Kerri! I enjoy seeing your family pictures!
BTW, my four new amaryllis will start to bloom this week-end! Hope they will be as beautiful as yours!

Alice said...[Reply]

Loved the ice 'staligtytes'. Wonderful photos, especially of your beautiful family. Gee whiz, how did they get to be so good- looking? I can't understand it...lol.

I agree about raising the children as a great job (most of the time!), and the grandchildren are bliss.

I might have a go at this meme, too.

Carole Burant said...[Reply]

I so enjoyed your answers to this meme...as Susie says, it's a great way to find out more about each other:-) For one thing I didn't realize you were born and raised in Australia or that your parents had a pet shop! How the heck did you end up in NY??? lol Hugs xoxo

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

Kerri, maybe your mind isn't really wandering, it just has to move fast to keep up with all the interesting things in your life.

It's fun to imagine you growing up in that pet store - is that when you started thinking up pet names, for the cats and dogs as they awaited purchase by their eventual owners?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Sissy said...[Reply]

I agree with you about raising the kids. It's my full-time job and I am having trouble getting used to them not needing me, now that they are teens! Your pics are fabulous, Kerri!

Val said...[Reply]

Kerri, that was great, I learnt more about you!

Can't get over that cats will actually walk in snow...

clairesgarden said...[Reply]

thanks for joining in with the meme! lovely idea haveing photos through it.
your fuchsia should grow agian in the summer, take cuttings from it or just cut it back and it will come away again, or leave it to grow big!
love the amyrilis. I haven't had one for a couple of years, they are so nice.

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

I thoroughly enjoyed this post and all the photos that pink and grey bird is gorgeous!!!Oh that photo w/ the cat and tracks..priceless!

Carolanne said...[Reply]

I love the photos!
You did a good job with this Meme. I enjoyed reading your answers.

Sigrun said...[Reply]

Kerry, I love all of your photos, your familiy is very nice and always happy loking.
Sigrun

kylieps said...[Reply]

aww Mummy, you're the best. Us kids love you too.

Cris said...[Reply]

Wonderful meme!!! I love it, I also have 3 kids (all boys) and did not see snow until I was 18!

sonia a. mascaro said...[Reply]

Love this meme, it's a way to know you better! Me too consider raising our 2 children to be the most interesting, enjoyable and rewarding job I’ve ever had! I can see you and me have many things
in common.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...[Reply]

Kerri...I really enjoyed reading your meme and seeing your pictures. It's always fascinating to learn more about our favorite blogging buddies. Thanks for sharing.

It looks and sounds like you are really snowed in at the moment and with frigid temps. The birds are lovely coming to your feeders and I hope the cats learn to avoid whatever is hurting their paws.

Your Amaryllis pictures are all so beautiful and I really loved the contrast of it in the picture with the snow & the birds in the background...it makes me want to go out in this frigid weather and buy a houseplant or two.

Barbee' said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri,
I ditto what all the others said. Lovely!

I want to comment about your sketching/drawing. If you really enjoyed it, don't let it go too long. There are a few things I thought I would do when I retired that involved good hand control, but I have developed tremors so there is no way. We never know what the future holds. Don't wait too long.