Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Glimpse of Spring!

We interrupt our regular programming (namely day 2 of a winter snowstorm which I had planned to post) to bring you signs of spring!
This week we've had the most glorious foretaste of the approaching change of season, with bright sunshine, blue skies and temperatures reaching into the 50's (approx. 12ºC). The chill wind persists, but how refreshing it feels to stroll outside with fewer layers of clothing and breathe the warmer air. I can't wait to be able to open the doors and windows to let the fresh air into the house!


Look what I found in the garden yesterday - the first snowdrops opening their tiny blooms! What a wonderful surprise!


If you look very carefully you'll see them close to the wall behind Tink...hardly noticeable unless you're really looking for them. I wasn't expecting to see them yet. They're about a week earlier than last year. A few more are hidden behind the the circular wire rose covers. We'll be taking those off soon to let the roses see the light of day.


This is what I went out to photograph...daffodil shoots!


Another sure sign of spring is the cats coming out of the barn to warm up in the sunshine. Tink was enjoying a good sunbake in the garden.  Posted by Picasa


And Jodi (Bloomingwriter), guess what I saw at the feeders yesterday morning and again this morning? Yes, they're here...the red-winged blackbirds! We know spring is near when these beauties arrive, don't we?


A bluejay startles the redwing and gives hubby and I a chuckle.


Lately Mr. Cardinal comes more often for his share of the seed,


and Mrs. C has been around more too.
We never cease to be thrilled by their brilliant colors.


We're seeing the wild turkeys feeding early in the mornings in the fields across the road, cleaning up the left over corn and scratching in the hedgerow. Posted by Picasa


The males are strutting and displaying, fanning their tail feathers for the ladies' affections. 


There are over 30 turkeys in this group, which is one of several.


A starling sits in the budding Silver Maple in the early morning sunshine.


Hannah is trying to avoid walking on the snow. As you can see, there's still plenty of snow left on the ground, but we've had considerable melting these past few days. Posted by Picasa 


Sheba goes exploring over the bank...


We've hardly seen Peige out of the barn all winter.


Phoebe hasn't ventured out much either, but today most of the barn cats were down near the house, enjoying some exercise.


It won't be long until the goldfinches change to their bright summer finery. Posted by Picasa


They've made quite a mess on top of the feeder. Looks like I have some spring cleaning to do!


 
I definitely see the yellow looking a little brighter on this pretty boy.


Busy little nuthatch visits the seed and suet feeders regularly. There are a pair but I rarely see them together.


Chickadees like the suet too.


Sandy of Four Winds Photo Journal, I've been trying to capture the iridescent colors of the starlings again ever since you mentioned it, and do you think I can? No! Here they are in the afternoon sunshine which is the best time to capture the colors...but I couldn't do it! I'll keep trying :) Posted by Picasa


Doesn't a sunny bouquet of daffodils gladden the heart?


It's not quite here yet, but it sure feels like spring here in upstate NY this week! I hope all you snowbound northerners are feeling sunshine on your shoulders too! 

21 comments:

Christine B. said...[Reply]

Wow, you have quite a flock of feathered beauties in your area. And snowdrops, too...we are still stuck in the tail end of a blizzard. No birdies today, though I did hear one chickadee calling. Hope springs eternal.

Christine in Alaska

joco said...[Reply]

Hiya Kerri,

Burning the midnight oil, weren't you?

Gorgeously clever bird photographs. Particularly the cardinal and the nuthatch.Never knew that blackbirds could have a touch of red.

Just missed you over at my place: I was just posting my snowdrop pictures while you were commenting on the little lamb :-)

Those layers of "sporting wood, run wild" in the snow, are lovely. But still deep snow by the looks of it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

That is a beautiful portrait of Hannah. It does appear that spring is sprung up your way. Doesn't it feel delicious?! We had some female redwings here this weekend. That really got the males fired up. It won't be long and you will be outside doing chores again. I can tell you it feels great to be outside more. Happy spring.

miss m said...[Reply]

I don't believe I met the barn cats before. They're adorable ! :)

March has been kind to us so far. No snowfall here, just blue skies and sunshine, although temps have not reached double digits (C) yet. But I'm not complaining ! I'm even looking forward to a few showers expected this week/weekend which should help rid us of the lingering snow.

As usual, fantastic post and pics !

F Cameron said...[Reply]

The red-winged blackbirds came through here last week. I guess they made their way up to your farm! :-)

Glad to see you're coming out of the winter season up there. I think spring is here now-early, but no frosts in sight on the 7-day forecast. We always get a late frost in April just to keep us humble!

Cheers,
Cameron

sweetbay said...[Reply]

It's amazing to me that snowdrops will push up through the snow like that. Everyone looks like they are enjoying the sunshine.

The Red-Winged Blackbirds started singing here a couple of weeks ago. I haven't seen a flock of Turkeys like the one you've pictured since we lived in PA. They are beautiful birds.

Roses and Lilacs said...[Reply]

I saw the first redwing blackbird this week too. The males always come early to get the best nesting sights along the creek.

No sign of daffodils here yet but the snow is melting fast in this rain. Cross your fingers we've seen the last of it.
Marnie

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Wow, you have a lot going up up there! Thanks for the startling tip, I have one shot to show you, but want to do more.

I love the shot of the cat walking on top of the snow. BYW, your snow is so clean! You must be far off a busy road.

The turkeys are out and about here, too. Have you noticed they are at their shiniest in the spring?

Now, I am back to my sewing machine for the rest of the afternoon. I took a break to see if I could get your comments open when the traffic wasn't so bad. I am usually on in the late afternoon.

Enjoy this beautiful weather!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...[Reply]

My girls (11 and 3) and I enjoyed your pictures together. Of course they loved the cats. I also showed them the Cardinals since we don't have them here, and one of them has a stuffed animal Cardinal. They were impressed with how bright red the male is.
Glad you're seeing signs of Spring there!

Sigrun said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, your photos are great like always. Have you ever thought about making an own gardenbook? With all that beautiful photographs of the animals and your garden, the barn? Only for you. I have made me one years ago. Now I make at the end of a year a presentation with a photoprogramm. And send it those I like ore love.

Sigrun

Darla said...[Reply]

Great signs of Spring!!!

*Ulrike* said...[Reply]

Wow! I have never seen a redwing black bird before. pretty cool. The signs of spring are exciting!!

Beth said...[Reply]

You have beautiful kitties and birds! Love that your snowdrops are coming up too. Our snow has melted - most of it anyway - I need to go take a look for green in the garden!

Pat said...[Reply]

Love all the bird pics !
Shame we never see Goldfinches in the winter...wonder why.
Your new spring sprouts look about the same as ours...funny,you still have snow.

Kathleen said...[Reply]

I would have laughed at the blue jay making the blackbird jump too! I wish mine would come in and do that.
I'm glad you've had some nicer days. It does look like a lot of snow still on the ground there. Love all the cats too.
I planted snowdrops for the first time last fall and have been so thrilled at how early they bloom. Why didn't I do it sooner? It's so nice to see blooms this time of year. Happy (almost) Spring Kerri!

Tabor said...[Reply]

Yes, my daffy down dillies are indeed peaking up and since I have new ones this year I am beside myself with curious anticipation. I also have ornamental onions peaking forth. Weather has been incredibly mild for the entire week. Your birds are beautiful.

Roselover said...[Reply]

Hi Kerrie
Love your blog. I don't blog but i read other people's. Seeing all the snow, how on earth, coming from Australia did you ever learn to live in such a cold climate?
Nyrelle in good old Oz
roselover1705@gmail.com

Gail said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri! I love your barn cats...a really handsome group...I imagine they keep the barn free of mice all winter long...I've noticed that the plumage is starting to improve on the male birds and here in the middle south the birds are singing up a storm for spring. Starlings do have the most marvelous iridescent color~~bossy, messy birds, they need something to redeem them!

Hope spring arrives soon and that the snow finally melts.

Gail

em said...[Reply]

kerri, the turkeys are grand! does anyone hunt them? would they be good eating? great bird pics as usual. this week should be really warm, and then those bulbs will shoot up!

Alice said...[Reply]

Oh dear, you will miss all that pristine whiteness when it all turns to mud and slush...lol.

Not a bit of it....you'll be out there counting every blade of green grass, sniffing the daffodils, and soaking up the sunshine with the cats.

I would hate to have to endure your winters, Kerri, but sometimes I envy you the joy and anticipation of approaching Spring.
Enjoy it to the full and please share it with us.

Giddy said...[Reply]

Oh, I cannot wait to get back home to see what may be coming up in my garden! I'm sure the crocus' are up and the daffs are probably popping through, as well.