Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Spring Magic!

Color is gradually returning to our spring garden, and each daily walk brings new discoveries.
There's not a great deal of warmth in the air yet and it seems to me I could count the sunny spring days on one hand.
Today's weather brought a mixture of rain and wet snow, with cold winds persisting, as they have for most of March and these first few days of April, so my exploratory walk this afternoon was very brief.
This past weekend brought sunshine though, and Sunday was the warmest and sunniest day we've had so far this spring.
Naturally the plants were calling out to be photographed, and how could I resist?


Snowdrops/Galanthus opened their diminutive blooms to the warm sunshine.

I found only one bright little Winter Aconite/Eranthis hyemalis blooming for a
 second season, but there are babies surrounding it! If you click the photo for a larger view you'll see that there's a busy fly on the flower.


Jasmine was happy to be out in the garden soaking up the sunshine.


Crocuses were just budding in the early morning but popped open for the first time in the warm afternoon sun. Daffodils are shooting up next to them.


These little purples are always the first to bloom.

Larger purples next to them are usually a day later


As are the whites.


Here are the large purples late Sunday afternoon.


And the lovely whites with the sun shining through their petals.


In the spring of 2008 there were still 2 nice clumps of about 30 of these golden yellow crocuses, but they were nowhere to be found in the spring of '09. Vole tunnels told the story of hungry little rodents, but this one tiny bulb was apparently overlooked, and happily, here it is making an appearance this spring. 


Nearby are a couple of nice clumps of this lovely lavender with purple stripes.

Daffodils in the Clematis Garden have big fat buds and are usually the first to bloom.


I love the coloring of the tulip leaves.


I was surprised to discover the Scilla siberica had tiny blue buds at the base of the leaves. I've been watching carefully for them to appear, and on March 30th suddenly there they were! I've never noticed before that the buds appear with the leaves. They bloom with the Daffodils so I wasn't expecting to see buds this soon. 


Bluebells are popping up beside the scraggly Primrose foliage.


There are Snowdrops to be found in several garden beds as I keep spreading them around. They can be moved at any time during the gardening months.

Lilacs are budding.

The Silver Maple is loaded with buds of burnished red. This tree is beautiful in spring, summer and fall.

And here is the most exciting discovery of all (at least to me)!
It's not much to look at yet, but the buds on this Hellebore have been long awaited. The plant was labeled as "Hellebore mixed" when I found it in my favorite nursery in the summer of '07, and this is the first time it's produced blooms.
After 4 years I finally know the color - it's pink and I'm so happy about that!
I'm keeping a close eye on those buds but they're not doing much yet, so I'll just have to be patient.

Happy spring to all who are emerging from a long winter!

16 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

I is difficult to be patient when your garden is awakening. You just want to start shouting get up and get to bloomin' everyone. Jasmine looks like the perfect lawn ornament in this photo.

Tabor said...[Reply]

I am like Lisa in that I want everything to hurry along so that I can enjoy it...but then it would all be over so fast. Patience is not a gardener.

Debbie said...[Reply]

Lovely photos as always, Kerri. Each year I vow to plant more early, early bulbs, but forget when it comes to time to plant in the fall. It is such a boost to my winter weary soul to see those little blooms of color in the garden.

Wonderful about the Hellebore. I've never had any success with them. You give me hope to try again.

songofthewolf said...[Reply]

Aren't blooming flowers so cheerful after a long winter? I love the snowdrops. Have you tried tapping the maple tree? Silver maples don't have as much sugar as sugar maples, but i tap mine & get quite a bit of syrup. Happy spring!

sweetbay said...[Reply]

I love your new header photo! You must be so happy to see these beautiful signs of spring after a long NY winter.

Sissy said...[Reply]

I have noticed, too, that it takes so long for the bulbs to appear and then they seem to explode!
I dislike voles. Very much. !

Layanee said...[Reply]

Is there anything as exciting as emerging foliage and spring flowers? More to come...

Needled Mom said...[Reply]

Isn't it wonderful that your patience has finally paid off? It makes the wait worth it when you see that bloom starting. It will be so much fun to see it all the way out.

I love the little crocus popping up and bringing spring colors to life. There is always hope despite the chilly temperatures.

Summer will soon be here!

Andrew said...[Reply]

Hi Jasmine! (And Grandpa and Grandpa, too!) Our Crocuses are up too!

Love, C, K (and associates)

em said...[Reply]

ah, well, i've finally pulled my head out of a hole and posted today. i've been so tired of late! anyway, glad to hear about your hellebore! i can totally relate! i have just one, and it doesn't get bigger or anything. if you find the trick to keeping them happy, please let me know! hope you and your family are well.

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Kerri, I'm so glad that spring bulbs are finally arriving in your part of the world! It's about time, huh? I'm drawn to winter aconite, looks like I'll have to plant some this fall.

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...[Reply]

I am envious of your garden. Just Beautiful! Can't wait to see it in the summer!

Ferdi Nel said...[Reply]

Lovely picture of your garden. I'm sure it will be stunning in summer.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

Happy new beginnings! :)
It's still a tad too cold in these parts thouhg I did spot a few daffodils tarying to bloom here and there......Pennsylvania had such beautiful 4 seasons...Ohio, though beautiful not so much! Winters are oh-so-long here......enjoy your Hellebore and I loved yellow crocus! They must be rarer than their purple brethren 'coz i hardly ever seem them as often!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

Kerri, it was so great to hear from you! I am trying my best to be a regular blogger......it will never be the same as it used to be when i was a student na dhad more time to explore and blog and visit others' blogs but I am making a sincere effort towards blogging all over again :)

Meanwhile, enjoy the spring and I look forward to be reconnected with your blooming garden :)

Take care and Have a great w/end!

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

We got some snow this morning. I was sure surprised. Yesterday the sun was out and I was able to get some yard work done so I expected it to be nice today too. It was cold and rainy all day so I stayed in except to get my mail.
Your flowers are so pretty. I do love the Crocus. When I was a little girl there were some growing in an elderly lady's lawn. My cousin and I used to pick a few for our teacher. It didn't occur to us that we shouldn't. One morning I looked up and saw the sweet white haired lady smiling at us from her window as we plucked her pretty flowers. Maybe she was remembering when she was a little girl.
Keep warm dear Kerri and 'think WARM Spring!'