Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Host of Golden Daffodils - Spring '08

On April 16th - the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - our daffodils began to open in profusion! They gracefully gave me three open blooms for Bloom Day, but waited until the next day to begin their big "Welcome Spring" show. Since then they've wowed us with their sheer exuberance!
You can well imagine how clogged my poor hard drive is with hundreds of daffodil photos, after a long, color-starved winter.

I took photos in the morning light......




.....and in the warm glow of the afternoon sun. Posted by Picasa



Posted by Picasa
Always with a kitty helper.....

......or three. That's Cleo (on the left), Jasmine and Kaspurr, being just a little too helpful.

There's a lone pink hyacinth in the rose and clematis garden, and more blooming gaily in other gardens, but I'll show you those next time.

Here's a cheerful white clump growing over by the vegetable garden, where once a compost pile sat. I tossed them on the pile years ago, thinking they were beyond saving, but the hardy little bulbs grew and bloomed, continuing to delight us each spring.

And in the front yard, golden yellow against an azure sky.

We've had summer-like weather for the past week, with temperatures in the mid 80's ( approximately 29ÂșC). I've been out working in the gardens whenever possible, and soaking up that wonderful, warm sunshine. Posted by Picasa

The small blue blooms of Scilla blend well with the bright yellow daffs.

I couldn't leave out the last of the crocus.

These lovely pale beauties have finished blooming now.....

.....but they certainly deserve to be included, after putting on such a pretty show! Posted by Picasa

Down by the road the fence garden is doing its share.....


.....providing plenty of bright yellow bouquets for the house, and church on Sunday.

I love the mix of white with the yellows. The large yellow daffs are King Alfred, but I don't know the names of the others. I planted them years ago and don't remember the names now. Posted by Picasa

There are a couple of clumps of these old fashioned doubles.

And here you can see the iris are growing nicely, getting ready for their turn to shine.

And the Cutleaf Maple is beginning to leaf out.

This poem was a favorite of my father, and has always been one of mine too. Posted by Picasa

"Daffodils"
William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company
I gazed -and gazed -but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills
And dances with the daffodils.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

You have yellow bouquets growing ready-made out there! Your daffs are lovely and sure do look happy that spring is here.

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

Oh Kerri your daffodils are sure something to warrant all of the pictures on your hard drive.

This poem is just great. I am so glad you shared it. I will have to remember it and read it every spring.

Isn't it a wonderful time of year. Your kitties are all so cute lying in and around your daffodils.

Frances, said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, your daffodils are the most cheerful of flowers, so perfect after a long winter. And to think you already are having 80 degree days, jumping right into summer? Daffodils that regrew after being given up to the compost pile are a special gift, you must be so pleased!

Frances at Faire Garden

Anonymous said...[Reply]

What a lovely display you have. Mine are finished now and I am beginning to thin them out abit.

Jeanette said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,
Ohhh What a beautiful show of Daffodils in your Garden..
A host, of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Giddy said...[Reply]

Kerri, ours have not yet begun to bloom, but then, we are cooler here on the coast. I'm always amazed when we drive in to Bangor (only 50 miles inland), to find they are so much further ahead of us in blooms.

Love the pictures of the kitties!

Needled Mom said...[Reply]

Kerri, the daffodils are just beautiful. I love the double ones.

It must feel so good to have the warm sun on your face as you are working in the garden.

kylieps said...[Reply]

There's nothing like daffadils to restore joy to the soul after a long grey winter!

verobirdie said...[Reply]

You can never have too many daffodils pictures! They are so joyful, and I guess even more after a long winter!

Susie said...[Reply]

Daffodils just say spring! I'm sure you're loving all that gorgeous weather. Looks like the kitties are as well!
Loved all the pictures, but lucky you to get to enjoy them all in person!
xoxo

Amy said...[Reply]

Daffodil heaven!

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

You did a lot of planting to get such a wonderful show. They look like rivers of gold twining through your lawn.
Don't you just love gazing at all the lovely spring color in your yard?
I love the poem too.

Debbie said...[Reply]

Just beautiful! Love all those wonderful mounds of yellow and white. Gorgeous!

Susan Tidwell said...[Reply]

Kerri, your blog is like a breath of fresh spring air, and the poem is lovely as always, never tire of reading it. An appropriate coupling of pictures and poetry.

HORIZON said...[Reply]

After all that snow Kerri- l can imagine your smile when all the daffs opened up! As you know that poem is a favourite of mine and my Dads too- l can hear him recite it now :)
The daffodils go so well with your blue flowers and that fence by your entrance is fantastic- l want one of those! :) In fact l'd gladly swap homes if you like because l know what is coming this summer when you start getting out and about in the garden! Those gentle hills and red barn, climbing plants about your home- a riot of colour! I'm smiling here as l think of all the wonderful photographs you've taken since that new camera Kerri. It's a fantastic way to share your love of flowers and a great way for me to learn about them too.
Hugs and bests

Anonymous said...[Reply]

You have cheered me. Having just planted a wonderful box of new bulbs I am now starting to see them peep through the earth.
Not at your stage yet, but you have given me something to look forward to.

Barbara said...[Reply]

It must be a wonderful feeling coming home and being welcomed with such an amount of beautiful daffodils lining the way. It is amazing!! I guess you leave them in the soil when they are faded, aren't you? And once you had to plant the bulbs...what a great work you did then! I envy you for the warm temperatures. Today it is the first sunny day after a period of heavy rain!
Wishing you a nice Sunday, Kerri, and a good start into the new week!
Barbara

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Your spring bulbs are gorgeous. The large sweeps of daffodils are very effective in such a wonderfully open space. I love the combination of blue Scilla and yellow daffodil. Isn't it great when 2 bulbs that combine so well sing together at the same time?

Jellyhead said...[Reply]

Dese daffodils are deliciously divine!

Hope you're enjoying a glorious weekend Kerri :-)

kate smudges said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri,

Your drifts of daffodils are a beautiful sight - as are the crocus. I especially like the striped ones, although the pale mauve ones are a close second!

We had more snow today, so it's as if the garden is back in winter mode. That's okay because I couldn't have done anything anyway.

The scilla with the daffodils make a lovely scene.

Your timber fence looks amazing with the drifts of daffodils.

Will write soon!!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Fantastic, Kerri After all that waiting, suddenly spring arrives with a bang and a flourish, and you're way ahead of us here. There are daffodils blooming in Halifax, where I am for the weekend, but certainly mine were only up about 5 inches when I left on Thursday. Spring's unfurling is such a blissful event!

em said...[Reply]

i love the cats hiding in daffs pictures! cats seem to be pretty careful about not knocking over flowers, unlike dogs. great post!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

tulips and daffodils are blooming in these parts too..but nothing quite like a field of daffodils you have here, kerri. not knowing an atom about gardening, i get my regular fix of beauty on your blog :)

Hope you are having "a field day" like your pretty flowers :)

Katarina said...[Reply]

Such pretty sights!
/Katarina

Alice said...[Reply]

Daffy Kerri - your photos have stirred me into action - I'd better go and plant the bulbs I bought last week.

I can imagine that every time you looked at those glorious flowers you just knew that you hadn't photographed them from that particular angle...lol.

They really are such a wonderful signaller of Spring, although you're having summer-like weather. 29Âș there, and we're expecting a maximum of 10Âș today, and there's been snow on the mountains further south.

So looking forward to hearing and seeing all about your gardening exploits in recent days.

Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY !!!

Midlife Mom said...[Reply]

Beautiful pictures as always! Love the flowers AND the kitties!

Val said...[Reply]

Welcome to Daffodil Land and spring! Its a wonderful time of year, so pleased you have joined me here in UK at last in enjoying the first flowers of the year!

Mine are nearly finished now.

Naturegirl said...[Reply]

Kerri what amazing gardens of daffodils! A fresh breath of Spring! I am winding down my 2 month vacation in Arizona ..a few more posts and then we return to my Spring garden! My neigbor sent me photos of my daffodils to lure me back to reality! happy day to you..sorry i have not been by as it is difficult to sit at a PC when the temps are in the high 80's..pool weather! hugs NG

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...[Reply]

Kerri, you have a wonderful spring display with Daffodils. The yellow is so exuberant and sunny like it wants to say, winter winter go away! They are such wonderful blooms. I am sure you take some for the vases. ( I am a little bit jealous!!) but on the other hand I am happy for you to have such a wonderful show. Thank you Kerri for your beautiful Photos.

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Beautiful daffodils.
I am writing from the UK (Kent ).

Diana LaMarre said...[Reply]

Spring certainly comes in a blaze of yellow glory at your house! Simply beautiful.

Terri said...[Reply]

How lovely!
You know there are some on the side of the house here, and they have yet to bloom! I have other things coming up. I am anxious to see what they are.
Terri
P.S. You know they say we may get snow today? Can you believe it?

Anonymous said...[Reply]

You have so many! I am committed to planting at lease 100 every year. That should make a difference if I live long enough!

WiseAcre said...[Reply]

Looks like you have a narcissus streak in your character.

I have it bad too. Long cold winters and deer often drive us to it. Tulips are colorful but Daffodils are hardy and not on the menu.

Looking at your photos I see the passage of time. Those wonderful gatherings of spring cheer don't grow overnight.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...[Reply]

Sigh! So wonderful these drifts of daffodils and those drifts of kittycats are nothing to be sneezed at either. ;-)

Sue Swift said...[Reply]

Stupendous. I didn't have any daffodils this year - I planted tulips instead - and really regretted it.

JunieRose2005 said...[Reply]

OH, MY!!!

Your spring flowers are the most beautiful of all I've seen!!


....and I was so sorry to hear about your kitty! Still- most cats are happier to be able to live outside!
My cats are outside cats. I have 2.

Enjoy your spring!


Junie

Kylee Baumle said...[Reply]

Wow, Kerri. You are having one beautiful bounteous spring up there, aren't you? So many pretty spring bulbs! Gorgeous photos!

Cris said...[Reply]

Kerri... wonderful pictures... maybe you would like to spend some time here with me to help me with the garden? Our home will be ready in 8 or 9 months, wow, that's our baby now. :-)

Marlene Depler said...[Reply]

Thanks for sharing the poem. I hadn't read that one before. It's great!