Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day-September '09

The middle of September came much too fast for me, and yesterday didn't work out to get this post done, but....
I do have blooms!

There's still plenty of color in the garden, and we've had mild, sunny days, except for some rain and gray skies this past weekend. It's raining again tonight, but that's OK. We've had a couple of weeks of dry weather, so the ground actually needs the moisture.

The Lily Garden is full of blooming annuals, most of which I started inside in early spring. Hannah was my "assistant" on this day. Notice how the vines and that one tree in the hedgerow across the road have already turned their dark shade of red. They always change color early.

Cleome and Nicotiana (Tobacco Flower) are just two of the many. I intend to show more detail in my next post, but in the interests of actually finishing this post before midnight, I'm leaving out about half the photos I (painstakingly) chose for this Bloom Day :)

Gloriosa Daisies (Black-eyed Susans/Rudbeckia hirta) are still going strong here and there, and in the background the Phlox Garden still has color. Tink was also helping out with the picture taking. She's the little white spot to the left of the Hydrangea Limelight. If you click to enlarge you'll see the cows grazing in the pasture.

Limelight's white blooms are now tinged with pink. I planted this shrub in 2007 and am impressed with the growth and abundance of blooms this summer. In the pasture wild asters, goldenrod and Joe Pye Weed are making a colorful show.

Verbena Bonariensis waves its blooms on tall, slender stalks in the Rock Garden. Posted by Picasa

The Sedum here is a passalong from our son and DIL. I need to ask them to remind me of its name. That's Salvia farinacea on the right, and the little white daisy behind is Feverfew.

The bright hues of Portulacas look good next to the leaves of Dark Opal Basil, and another variety that was a stray seed in the packet. Posted by Picasa

Red and pink Phlox have bloomed for many weeks in the Driveway Garden. The patch of yellow at the top right is snapdragons in the New Rock Garden.

I decided to plant the 2 Knockout Roses in the middle of this garden, next to the red Phlox because their color is so similar, and I wanted them to have full sun.

It's practically impossible for me to dig up flowers that are blooming, which is why this job had to wait until now. A large clump of Lemon Lilies (early daylilies) had to be dug up and thinned. They bloomed in June, but there were other bloomers to wait for after that - Monarda, Yarrow and Gloriosas .

That gap should fill up nicely next summer.

The Rose, Social Climber, has grown by leaps and bounds this past month. Dear hubby (faithful helper) is working on a trellis for it. Posted by Picasa

Those blooms are really wowing me!

Several Dahlias are blooming. This beauty is Blue Bell. They always seem to name the purple ones "blue something".

And in the New Rock Garden is Bonny Blue. Posted by Picasa

It looks quite pink to me.

Several other flowers are making a lovely show in this garden...Marigolds, Ageratum, orange Cosmos, Zinnias, Marguerites and more.

This lovely yellow Marguerite (Argyranthemum) has surprised me by producing flowers all summer. They usually peter out in the middle of summer and begin blooming again in the fall.

This sunflower is a different variety than the other volunteers that grew from fallen birdseed. It's a later bloomer, which is always welcome. Posted by Picasa

Overwintered Ivy Geraniums on the porch are looking pretty, but are in need of pruning.

Tuberous Begonias add their glorious blossoms to the show of several other containers and baskets still blooming here on the porch.

The white Rose of Sharon blooms in the Lilac Garden.

On the north side of the house the clump of pink Japanese Anemones has spread nicely this summer. Posted by Picasa

Bees love them! This little fellow had his saddlebags loaded with pollen.

A few white J. Anemones are blooming too.

There's also a nice clump of Mallow here.

And glorious Gloriosas. Posted by Picasa

The white Alyssum badly needs a second thinning in the Pink Garden. This stuff spreads like crazy, but it's so pretty that you've gotta love it! Other bloomers are pink snapdragons, blue dwarf Campanula, Gloriosas (they pop up everywhere!), and on the far end, Phlox and Obedient Plant (Physostegia virginiana/False Dragonhead).

Also tucked in there, the lovely Sea Pearl Rose....

....and the dainty Gaura.

Here are just a few of the containers on the back patio, still blooming their heads off, and to the left is the Rose/Clematis Garden. Posted by Picasa

Quite a few bloomers here, including Verbena Homestead Purple, Pink Morn Petunias, more Alyssum, Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum) with their lovely chartreuse leaves, lamium and a dark heuchera.

Queen Elizabeth Rose is blooming beautifully.

And to finish the show we have a little color over in the Top Driveway Garden....Phlox, Rudbeckia triloba (a smaller flowered, later blooming Black-eyed Susan), and Agastache foeniculum.

Thanks to my friend Sigrun of Hillside Garden for the Agastache seed. It's a perennial here in my zone 5 garden. I planted seedlings last year and they flowered this summer. Posted by Picasa

Sedum Neon is showing off her bright pink flower heads.

And the pink Aster is adding some bright color as well.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to finish before midnight, and will shortly be turning into a pumkin if I don't go to bed, so I'll say adieu...but first a reminder to visit Carol of May Dreams Gardens to enjoy a feast of blooms from garden bloggers all over the world. Posted by Picasa

Happy Bloom Day everyone!

24 comments:

Alice said...[Reply]

A walk around your garden before heading for bed....what could be more relaxing?

I particularly love the hanging baskets with the beautiful red geraniums, also the Queen Elizabeth roses.

As always there's lots of my favourite colour too....green, green, green. Same colour as New South Wales and Victoria at the moment....and it's raining here tonight as well. The plants I planted today will be loving it.

Thanks for including photos of the gardens right near your house...they are always my favourite.

Have a go at singing the Welsh Nat. Anthem....words are on my blog. You do know the tune, don't you?

Please say 'Hi' to the 'faithful helper' won't you?

sweet bay said...[Reply]

Your posts are always a delight to see! Your gardens and the surrounding countryside are beautiful, and you take such wonderful pictures of them. I have so many favorite pictures I can't pick one. I love the shot of the sunflowers, and the White Anemone, and the roses, and the Rudbeckia with the Phlox and... :) It's all lovely!

Needled Mom said...[Reply]

I always enjoy seeing all of the beautiful flowers, Kerri. The gardens are actually taking on a bit of the "fall" look to them not.

The roses and dahlias are just stunning. I have always love the Queen Elizabeth rose. The little moss roses are also so bright and colorful.

Hannah looks very intent on capturing some moving item. Cute.

Su Chua Phin 徐蔡斌 said...[Reply]

Again ... very nice flowers !
Greetings from cat city Kuching :)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...[Reply]

I love when you post pictures of your garden. It's just beautiful there! I love the wide shots where you can see the pastures and the hills surrounding your land. You have sooo much in bloom.

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...[Reply]

I think you live in the garden of eden. So beautiful and peaceful.

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

Wow! You still have a lot of color. Summer is definitely winding down here and most of my flowers are done. I do have a large patch of nasturtiums and white alyssum that I can see from my kitchen window and a few roses are trying to show off.
My green beans are just coming on good now. They got a very late start.
I enjoyed seeing all your pretty flowers Kerri. Thanks for sharing.

Roses and Lilacs said...[Reply]

Your garden is just amazing. You have so much blooming and looking lush so late in the season.

Love the birdbath and the porch with the ivy geraniums. And as always love seeing the kitty family.

Sending an email.
Marnie

a King's daughter said...[Reply]

I love the way you have done the fence in the lily garden. What a beautiful backdrop for the flowers, and a visual break from the vast landscape! Brilliant. I always enjoy looking at the beautiful blooms. Thank you for taking the time to post. It's been so rainy here in Oklahoma we've barely had time to be outside, much less to take pictures of the early fall flowers. Blessings.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...[Reply]

Blooms you certainly got, Kerri, and quite a lot of them too. Love the pic with Hannah, how adorable she is. I love it when my cats come out to help me in the garden. Have you seen my kittycat Vita weeding?

Sylvana said...[Reply]

WOW! So much space to work with. I am both envious and a little relieved that I do not have that much space -- I would have to garden full-time!
Thanks for including some wide shots. I like to see the flowers in context. you have done a fabulous job.

Barbee' said...[Reply]

Kerri, you have so much! in bloom right now, and it is all gorgeous! I have rose 'Social Climber' on my "if I ever get to grow roses" list. You have so much sunshine everything seems to bathe in it and flourish.

em said...[Reply]

kerri, how beautiful! i really need to make more of an effort in the flower department! your beds are incredible!

littlewing said...[Reply]

So many beautiful blooms! I love the pictures of the Gloriosa Daisies and the Marguerites especially.

Cris said...[Reply]

Your garden is so inspiring Kerri. I love coming here. What surprised me is that you have Portulacas, thought they were not popular at this corner. I like them, they usually bloom late in the morning and close in the afternoon. Have a nice day there Kerri. xoxox

inlandempiregirl said...[Reply]

I haven't visited lately, but what a tour to behold. I don't do dahlias anymore, so it was nice to spend some time with yours.

Giddy said...[Reply]

As always, your gardens are a riot of beautiful color!

Do you overwinter your tuberous begonias?

Gail said...[Reply]

Kerri, I love visiting your gardens...there is always a bounty of beautiful blooms! Each picture is my favorite until the next ones scrolls open...but I do love the long shots that include the farm, pastures and hills beyond. What a gorgeous world you live in. I have to get more sun in my garden! gail

Isabelle said...[Reply]

Oh, yum!

Sunita said...[Reply]

Kerri, your garden is ,as always, a feast to the senses. As a small thank you for hours of enjoyment reading your lovely blog, there's an award waiting for you at my blog. Will you come over and collect it?
http://the-urban-gardener.blogspot.com/2009/09/one-lovely-award.html

joey said...[Reply]

You must pinch yourself daily living in such beautiful surroundings, Kerri! Your garden speaks of your 'green thumb' ... my visit ... a pure delight! Thank you for your kind words over the past few weeks. Happy Autumn, dear friend!

Sue said...[Reply]

Things are looking great your way! I especially love your dahlias.

Barbara said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri, I see - with a little envy I admit - your roses and the healthy leaves they have. You seem to have no diseases in your garden, don't you! What is the secret of these beautiful roses at this time of the year? You should see mine, no it is better you don't see them. They have a lot of dark or rusty spots on the leaves (I don't know the name of this typical rose disease in English) or even are naked without leaves.
It's always a great pleasure to visit your garden and to watch how it changes from month to month...but one thing remains the same: it is so full of colour, beauty and shows the loving care of a perfect gardener.
Have a good time,
Barbara

Josie said...[Reply]

I like Rudbeckia triloba with Agastache! they looks very good together! this year I want to try Agastache golden Jubelee with Salvia nemorosa Caradonna, I hope to obtain agastache from seeds! Bye! Josie