Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - September '08

Note to self...
How not to be late for Bloom Day:
Don't take a million photos!!
It makes it much too hard to choose just a few!
I've given myself this piece of advise over and over, but I still haven't taken it.....and probably never will. There's so much beauty to be found in a garden that it's hard to stop at just a few photographs, don't you think?
To see what's blooming in other gardens worldwide, please visit Carol of May Dreams Gardens, who first planted the idea of Bloom Day more than a year ago.

Looking at the big picture, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of color left in the front gardens, but if you walk up the driveway, closer to the house there's still plenty of blooms to be seen in other parts of the yard.
Nasturtiums, gaillardia (blanket flower or Indian blanket), coreopsis (tickseed) and gloriosa daisies (black-eyed Susan) are looking pretty in the side porch gardens.....

.......while geraniums, petunias and other plants provide plenty of bright spots in containers and window boxes.

In the Spring Garden, by the front porch yellow snapdragons and 2 varieties of marigolds make a pretty contrast with blue ageratum.

One variety of marigold seeds came to me as a delightful surprise in the mail from my dear blog friend, Sigrun, of Hillside Garden in Germany. She has an amazing garden and grows the most beautiful roses, and a great variety of other wonderful plants. Posted by Picasa


These "Lemon Gem" marigolds have the cutest little flowers and finer, rather lacy foliage than the common marigolds. I wish now that I'd taken a closeup photo of the two side by side for comparison. I'll try to remember to do that and post a picture in a future post.

The Top Lilac Garden is one of the most colorful at the moment. There are still a few blooms on the summer phlox, but the rudbeckia triloba (a small, later flowering black-eyed Susan) is stealing the show. It seeds itself with abandon so I deadhead the spent blooms diligently, leaving just a few, and weed out a lot of the seedlings in the spring. It has spread itself over the bank a little, and pops up here and there around the buildings. There's even a plant down in the ditch by the road. I'm happy when it acts like a wildflower...I just don't want it to do that in my gardens. I also move it up by the barn and buildings.
You'll notice that Reuben and Molly were playing a game of chase, following me around the gardens :) Posted by Picasa

Sedum Neon Stonecrop is looking pretty, and there are a few annuals tucked in there as well that aren't showing up in these photos.

This is the view from over the bank. There's a bright pink aster just beginning to bloom on the left, but this was taken last week, when the buds were just beginning to pop. I forgot to take a photo of it today. I left the artemisia looking rather wild on the back side of this garden, but pulled a lot of it out in other parts. I like the silvery foliage, but it's a vigorous spreader, and must be ruthlessly thinned out.

I think I pulled a little too much this time but it'll be back!

These gloriosas are still blooming in the daisy garden now that the shastas are finished and cut back. Posted by Picasa

Behind them are a clump of pink Japanese anemones, a passalong from a dear elderly gardening friend last fall.

I'm so happy with these airy delicate blooms!

She also gave me white, which I planted down in the lilac garden. Gorgeous, aren't they?

Another lovely white bloomer is the Rose of Sharon. Posted by Picasa

The self-sown annuals in the lily garden are blooming their heads off. There's nicotiana (tobacco plant), and Molly (formerly known as Max) sitting on the fence.....

......brightly colored portulacas (moss rose)......

.......wave petunias.......Posted by Picasa


........salpiglossis (painted tongue),

blooming in various color combinations.....

.......and ipomoea (morning glories), which I started from seed this past spring.

In the Pink Garden the obedient plant (physostegia virginiana) is in full bloom now.

Wild Blue Yonder rose is putting on a wonderful end-of-season show. The Japanese beatles have made a banquet of my roses this summer. Nasty things!

Also tucked in here, among the petunias, allysum, snapdragons and others, are these bright green leaved Jewels of Opar (talinum paniculatum), another of the many plants given to me by my non-blogging gardening friend, Marie. They have tiny pink flowers held on stems above the leaves, but the foliage is what they're all about. Posted by Picasa
This pink marguerite daisy (argyranthemum) is one I overwintered this year. It was an experiment that worked! (there were several that didn't).

Park Princess dahlia has 4 blooms open and more to come!

Eveline is one of three dahlias I planted rather late. They're just beginning to bloom.

Here's Orion...... Posted by Picasa

......and Blue Bell, planted in the Driveway Garden beside the butterfly bush.

Self-seeded mallow (Malva) just below the dahlias.

Another friend gave me 2 daturas (he called them purple trumpet). These are planted on the other side of the butterfly bush.


Up in the Rose/Clematis Garden the dark leaved heuchera (coral bells) has been blooming for a long time. There's plenty of self-sown allysum and some annuals I tucked in late to fill in spaces where I pulled out other plants. Posted by Picasa

The lovely Queen Elizabeth rose continues to produce a few blooms.


There's plenty of color in containers on the back patio. The Rasberry Blast petunias in the hanging basket have been gorgeous all summer, and next to them is Lambada ivy geranium, one of several that I overwintered. It's lop-sided, but still very pretty.

On the left side of the patio photo you can see perennial sweet peas climbing on a trellis. They've been producing blooms for a long time.

On the front porch is another ivy geranium that I overwintered. I don't know the name of this one, but I love the color! Notice in the background the vines in the hedgerow across the road have turned their red fall color. A few of our maple leaves have begun turning too. Fall is upon us, and summer is behind us, sad to say. I do enjoy the autumn season, but the long, cold winter follows too close on its heels. It's far too long a time to go without being able to get out into the garden among the beautiful colors. Posted by Picasa

But meanwhile, we have a few more weeks of gardening pleasures to look forward to, and a few sunflower blooms left to enjoy.

Willow, yawning widely, says, "I'm tired!"
Me too. It's late. Posted by Picasa
Happy Bloom Day everyone!

36 comments:

Jellyhead said...[Reply]

Oh, that Queen Elizabeth rose! ..... just stunning! Your garden is always a delight to behold :)

Carol said...[Reply]

My goodness but you have a lot blooming. I like that anemone, a great passalong. All your gardens look like they are going all out now before the end comes.

And that cat looks ferocious!

Thanks for joining in for bloom day,
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

PEA said...[Reply]

Hello dear Kerri:-)

It's been much too long since I've visited...shame on me! Today I'm taking the time off from being in the kitchen and just spending the day visiting all my dear blogging friends:-)

Your flowers are all absolutely gorgeous! I can't get over how much you still have in bloom. Unfortunately, we had a heavy frost here this morning and a lot of my plants got affected. I must go empty out containers and cut back all that is now done. At least my faerie garden is still doing well...it's protected under a big pine tree:-)

Had to giggle at the picture of Willow yawning...makes her look so fierce! hehe xoxo

Louise said...[Reply]

I'm in upstate NY and my garden looks like it's getting towards the end of the growing season. I'm glad your flowers are still in bloom and they look beautiful!

I love the Japanese anemones and those containers in the back porch looks gorgeous.

I enjoy looking at your pictures and it's never too many. :-)

Elzie said...[Reply]

You have a great garden. I too love the Japanese anemones (we call them fall anemones!!). The problem is you get them everywhere LOL.
Hope you have a great day.
Love Elzie

Debbie said...[Reply]

Kerri, how could you not take a million pictures. Your garden is gorgeous. So many blooms still. Mine is looking very sad. I love the Anemones, how lovely.

I really love the picture of Willow.

Defining Your Home said...[Reply]

Of course it's difficult to choose...you have SO MANY beautiful blooms to share! Note to myself: plant anemones next spring/find sedum neon now! LOL Thanks for sharing! Cameron

Barbara said...[Reply]

I don't know any other garden with so many different and richly blooming flowers. I'm overwhelmed! So beautiful!

Yolanda Elizabet said...[Reply]

Happy GBBD to you too! And what a wonderful contribution you have for Bloom day. No wonder you took a zillion pics. ;-) Loved the cute yellow snapdragons and your containers are still looking good. Little Willow is adorable and she knows it. :-)

Alice said...[Reply]

Flowers, flowers everywhere, but where on earth has that statue gotten to?

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

I always enjoy the GBBD tour you give us whether it is late or not. I also love seeing your kitties following you around.

Jim/ArtofGardening said...[Reply]

You've got killer color for this time of year. My GBBD photos came out so dull, I didn't bother posting. I'll enjoy yours if you don't mind.

Msrobin said...[Reply]

Oh Kerri, your garden photos are always so gorgeous. So please continue to take a million photos! I've never heard of, or seen salpiglossis before. Fabulous! I think I need this one.

Pam/Digging said...[Reply]

What beauty--no wonder you couldn't stop shooting, Kerri. Is that the same datura that Faire Garden Frances has in her Bloom Day post? I've only seen the white ones here in Austin. It's very pretty. Also, I love your anemones.

Patsi said...[Reply]

Again, I'm impressed !!

Question ????
Do you know anything about the "awards" I see all the time.
I have a funny feeling it's a sore subject.

Thanks for visiting and have a great day !!

Patsi

Isabelle said...[Reply]

Oh, lovely lovely lovely.

I'm intrigued by the way you say that you have "gardens" (have I said this before? If so, sorry to be repetitive). Here we have one garden, however big (or in my case, small) it is, which have various flowerbeds.

Anyway, your flowers are as ever beautiful.

GardenJoy4Me said...[Reply]

P.S. That is an awesome picture of Willow .. you had to be there at the exact time to catch our domestics in such a WILD pose ! : )

Susie said...[Reply]

Your garden is still absolutely beautiful. I know it gives you such joy (as well it should) It must take you forever to load all these pictures. I had a horrible day with blogger yesterday, but it seems to be doing better today.
We're enjoying gorgeous early fall weather here. My favorite time in CA!
xo

Val said...[Reply]

Perennial sweet peas - that is something on my wish list. Ive seen some lovely dark purple ones in the next village...

Oh I didnt know about portulacas, but my daughter has moved into a delightful flint cottage in our village, called - Moss Rose Cottage!
Now I know what to look for!

Needled Mom said...[Reply]

It looks as though you still have lots of color left to fill the garden.

I love the Japanese anemones and Queen Elizabeth rose - always my favorite in my rose garden.

Kylee said...[Reply]

Kerri! WOW! You've got SO MUCH blooming! Each picture had me saying, "Oh, that looks great!" Your salpiglossis, datura, Japanese anemone (wish mine looked like that!), and 'Neon' sedum especially caught my eye. Love the color on 'Neon'. Your yard must be just gorgeous at every turn!

Beth said...[Reply]

Lovely photos as usual Kerri!
I planted the Lemon Gem marigolds this year too and I loved the dainty flowers and mine stayed nice and mound-like all summer. I really like the neon stonecrop too.

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

You took some beautiful pictures. I am fascinated with the Datura. Is that something you start from seed?
I don't have many flowers blooming here. It's definitely fall and most plants are dying down and going to seed. I collected a few Marigold seed pods yesterday after I picked beans. I have some blooming in front of my shed right now and they are sure showy!
Thanks for taking me on a very pleasant walk in your yard Kerri. I loved it!

verobirdie said...[Reply]

Kerri, no wonder you have trouble chossing pictures from your garden, it is so gorgeous.
I always like touring it, it is so peaceful too.
Thanks for sharing.

Robin's Nesting Place said...[Reply]

Kerri, I just realized that your blog was somehow mistakenly deleted from my blogroll. I had become so dependent on Blotanical, but so many of my favorites aren't getting picked up now. I'm adding you back right now!

Wow! You have some spectacular blooms for September!

Northern Shade said...[Reply]

You have so many areas looking great in September. I'm impressed that even your spring garden has some blooms for fall, carrying on a yellow and blue theme.
Your Japanese anemones are beautiful, with their delicate colour shadings.
I have a soft spot for portulaca, but didn't plant any this year. I'm going to have to squeeze some into the sunnier areas next year.
The Orion dahlia is particularly attractive. I like the way it starts our white near the centre, and deepens the colour on the tips of the petals.
I love the ferocious wild cat of the savanah picture. Willow has pretty facial markings.

Marie said...[Reply]

What a beautiful post :)

Kathleen said...[Reply]

I absolutely see why you take so many pictures. It looks like you have a zillion gardens all with something beautiful in bloom. It's really spectacular and wonderful to have the color in late Sept.

Inland Empire Girl said...[Reply]

Lovely post. I have never seen Sedum Neon Stonecrop and I am thinking I need some of those! Your mallow is so pretty also. That is a new favorite plant of mine. The last shot with the cat... priceless.

judypatooote said...[Reply]

Willow looks like a baby tiger... cool picture, as are all the flowers....I have to take close ups of anything blooming in my yard, for yikes, it's bad....I always start out in the spring with such great intentions, but by fall, I say who cares.....not a good attitude, I know, but it's hard when your the only one doing it.....well have a happy day, and stop by and visit sometime... judy

Hillside Garden said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, I'm back. Your garden looks like a heaven for me, this is the garden, I allways want, so much place for plants and everything ist looking natural.

Sigrun

sandy2 said...[Reply]

Your gardens are looking great!!

sonia a. mascaro said...[Reply]

Dear Kerri, thank you so much for your kind words on my blog anniversary! I am so glad to have your friendship. I always enjoyed your beautiful post with many, many gorgeous flowers and your amazing garden!
Have a nice Sunday!
A big hug to you!

titania said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri; it will take a while until this garden is finished with blooming. You have such a great variety of beautiful flowering plants in the garden and in the pots. I love the Ivy geraniums too. You have really nice colours; I love those dark pinks. The basket with the pink petunia is so lovely; what do you do? Kerri do you sing to it? This was a nice tour around your flowers. Have a nice week Kerri.

Wilma said...[Reply]

Fantastic flowers!
Just came across your blog while finding the name for some pink wild flowers for my inspiration blog http://deseosdesign.blogspot.com/
Cheers from a beautiful spring day in Western Australia

Moi said...[Reply]

That rose is as charming as its Victorian name......... :)
It's a beauty, Kerri!
and I had no idea that those pink flowers are called Japanese anemones.....I always learn more about my surroundings through you blog......I spotted those delicate beauties in Wisconsin on our trip and had no idea what they were called.........